Junior Rider Weight- Needs a lower minimum

(Vincent W.) #1

This was a popular topic that sparked a lot of discussion, so we’ve decided to bring it over to our new forums! Any duplicate topics created will be merged with this one. Enjoy the discussion and Ride On.

I have a 7 year old who wants to participate in the juniors’ ride and race events. He weighs 24kg but the Zwift min weight is 45kg. It is frustrating for him to be at such a disadvantage when he rides with his peers.

Is there a way to fix this for juniors to allow kids to ride fairly?

(Bob Stallmann) #2

I have a 9-year-old and a 7-year-old. The 9-year-old has already tried Zwift twice, and the 7-year-old is interested. It’s very difficult for the 9-year-old to get up to a reasonable speed when climbing on Zwift, because his real weight is about 26 pounds below the minimum weight in Zwift, even though he does have the type of account that is explictly for preteen children. I think we should be supporting and encouraging children in cycling in any way we can, not only for their fitness and long-term health, but because U.S. male cyclists continue to do so poorly in international competition (the women have done a lot better, admittedly). I really appreciate that Zwift encourages children to use their technology and even has a special type of account for them, but the minimum weights have to go, so they don’t feel discouraged. If Zwift is doing this to try to prevent cheating on power-to-weight: consider that a relatively large adult (like me) could just enter a very low weight and still end up with a ridiculous power-to-weight ratio.