Junior Rider Weight- Needs a lower minimum

How would it be then to add a new bike with the functions of an e-bike? Then people with health problems and minors participate at least in the social part of the game…

1 Like

Hi Esben,
changing the setup of my powermeter is unfortunately only an option for me.
Working for SRM allows me to use our internal tools to adjust the calibration of our powermeters so it shows 3 times the measured value.
At the moment we only allow customers to adjust the calibration via our PC8 but not to program it in the crank.

1 Like

SRM
Well, as a user with extreme limited lung function I would love to have the possibility to eighter lower my weigth to the value fivent to me by the Zwidt TBR group (28) or increase the power output from my Taxc trainer. At least when I participate in socal events like ie the Watopia tour.

1 Like

Can we please keep this thread on topic (Junior Weight), if you would like other features please start a new thread.

2 Likes

Would love this please.

My 7 year old is 24kg. He has his own account (kudos Zwift for doing free kids ones) but is at a massive disadvantage when riding.

Possibly off topic a little (I’ll make a new one) is to allow full customisation, or much quicker progress through the levels for these accounts.

He was quite disappointed he couldn’t “look like dad”.

Andy.

1 Like

Another +1. Son, 8 (31kg) loves zwift and rides it 3-4 times per week but gets really frustrated with being unable to keep up on some group rides even when he is pushing far higher w/kg than those around him.

1 Like

+1 My son weighs 30kg with an FTP of 80w, at 45kg he cannot be competitive in the races

1 Like

+1 (again)… my daughter is just coming up to 10 years old and wants to Zwift… she’s 28.9 kg

1 Like

Just unlock this and create a « j » junior cat. Problem solve for racing.

Come on just a little effort… don’t forget these kids are you futur customers… keep em happy.

And most of those kids have theirs folks buying in monthly subscription for themselves, not only unnhappy kid but real customers too.

• why penalized these kids because of cheaters?

At least please tell us your working on fixing this ?

1 Like

I agree. My 8 year old doesn’t last long because he gets frustrated at his low speed. Let’s fix this please.

Add me to the list of people frustrated with this. My 9 year old is 32kg. Group rides are very hard for her and just me riding with her is too easy for me. Please figure out a way to correct this.

You can create a meetup with your kid and set the rubber band option to keep you together.

Group rides is hard for a lot of people older and over the min weight.

That option is better than nothing but limits the ability to ride anything other than a set course (no free ride) and makes Strava segment PRs meaningless. She can’t push to set a personal record and that’s something many competitive kids (and adults) like to do.

Most of people just have one trainer and cannot group ride with their own kid.

What kids liked the most is racing because they are kids.

Thèse kids are for real. My sons is in road bike competition and they can hold a 35kph for 30 minutes. This is fast but in Zwift he cannot hold more than 25kph.

You need to admit that this is broken and this need to be fixed. This has been requested 3 years ago and promised to be fixed 3 years ago.

1 Like

Hi Patrick

I was responding to Andy’s question when I talked about group rides.

Coming back to the minimum weight. Zwift use complex formulas to calculate speed from power, these formulas has bounds in where they are accurate. there are many studies out there to relate power to speed, these studies were done on adult riders.

Zwift said they are working on a kids option, but as you know Zwift is working on a lot of things.

Thank you Gerrie.

One last thought for Zwift going into the Olympic e-sport. The athletes that are going to be participating in these Olympic are the 10 year old kids of today.

Zwift Olympic and kids are bound together and need to be worked as a whole project.

Thanks again and ride on !

1 Like

I think zwift is aware of this, that is why kids are free. Development is not cheap or easy, so things need to be prioritized.

3 years ago you could not use Zwift on a iPhone, Android phone or Apple TV.
Until the middle of 2016 We only had 2 worlds to ride on (Watopia and Richmond)

Lots of development has gone into what we have now.

You have created an awesome way to do biking indoor and yes thing need to be prioritized.

So far so good.

But I think the time as come to fix the basic before going any further in creating new stuff.

Being free for kids is not making it more fun for them and I’d rather pay for my sons to get a complete experience to this awesome game.

Ride on!

I agree that the minimum weight needs to be lowered. For juniors and also petite women like myself! I’m under 5’ and about 90lbs…

5 Likes

Dude! This would TOTALLY rock for my son! He has been Zwifting for over a year, but like mentioned always struggled on the hill climbs (even though he is beast of out 3.5 w/kg!!). He is very active within Zwift and the community, has helped organize a team - TEAM KIDS - and help get meet-ups going for other kids riding on Zwift. So having a better weight system would drastically help these kids be competitive in adult races BUT amongst each other!!