Interval Time Trials

An interval time trial is a time trial in which consists of interval and rest periods. However, your bike would only move forward during the interval periods. The idea is to combine the excitement of racing with the benefits you get from doing a structured workout.

The interval and rest periods would be defined on time, and your placement in the results would be based on how far you travel. The types of intervals done would be configurable similar to a workout. For instance, you could have a time trial with 8 sets of 2 minute intervals and 2 minute rest periods. Another time trial could consist of a pyramid of 1,2,3,4,5 minute intervals with similar rest periods.

So why add this when Zwift already has time trials and group workouts? Time trials are fun, competitive, and really push you, but you donā€™t get the same benefits of a structured workout. The group workouts provide a good structured workout, but are kind of boring, and the banding is artificial. By combining these two features, you would get a fun, competitive structured workout. Zwift could further enhance this, by letting you compare your results to previous workouts. Also, like a workout, they could be done on your own, or as part of a group, just not a banded group.

The interval time trials will not replace group workouts or time trials. There are many types of workouts that would wouldnā€™t make sense such as over/under intervals, or even moderate intensity workouts. Time trials and races would still exist. This would add a way to get a structured workout in a fun, competitive way that could be compared against previous results.

I agree with this 100%. This is a incredible opportunity for ā€œcompetitiveā€ structured training. Nothing brings out more intensity than racing, and intervals are one of the best ways to improve output at different intensities.
This would require racing for set amounts of time(rather than distance), and leaderboards established for each interval ā€œraceā€ and a overall ā€œKing of Intervalsā€(KOI) for the completed set(s) of intervals.

The metric for placement could either be watts/kg or distance covered for the interval time. All recovery periods are ā€œleveled outā€ and neutral, riders are all pulled together regardless of their power out, until the next interval race begins.

Please up vote this and progress Zwift!!!

1 Like

I may not understand what exactly you want It seems to me all the features you ask for are already available? Your rest periods count unless you stop or unpair your power meter during intervals.
What I think will be best for your training is doing a time trial interval against a ghost rider. For example: doing one minute on/ one minute medium pace would be your base. Then your next ride would be two minutes on/ one minute medium pace. Your goal is to get ahead and stay ahead of your previous ride. It will eventually help you see what intervals are your best overall. For me, it is 30/30 generally. These are tough time trials as Iā€™m not allowed full rest. Try one or two.

I like the ā€œghostā€ idea, but it would still be way more motivating to be racing others for each and every interval. The idea is that recovery intervals DO NOT count. Everybody evens up, either riding stationary on a trainer like before races start, or moving along the road as one even group.

In Jeffā€™s first example, everyone races for 2 minutes, covering as much distance as possible via watts/kg on whatever course is chosen. In the 2min. recovery, a leaderboard is displayed for that interval. During the 2 minute recovery, everyone is even, regardless of how easy or hard they ride(encouraging maximum recovery). When the 2 min. recovery is up, next 2 min. race begins. At the end a leaderboard for the second 2 min. interval is displayed and then a leaderboard for the most distance covered over the first two, 2 min. intervals. This contunues over all eight intervals. By the end you have individual winners for each of the eight, 2min. intervals, and a ā€œKing Of Intervals,ā€ the racer who covered the greatest sum of distance over all eight, 2min. intervals.

different. what you might like in the mean-time for ā€˜racingā€™ intervals is using zwiftpower in a race try your best five minute, one minute, and 15 second intervals and you will see how it compares to everyone else. Iā€™ve done that plus on certain courses, I will sprint the actual sprint zone and later see that I won the best sprint in that race. (most just keep to the same pace). Plus you may be rewarded with a jersey for best sprint.