I just found out that France is in New Caledonia rather than Europe

There’s a reason why we named it Ven-Top and not Ventoux.

2 Likes

Understood.
But what was the reason it couldn’t be in France?

@Guy_Fisher

Other than it being for the TDF why did they even call it France? they should have just expanded watopia or something, or at least put it nearby so they could join it up later on.

alpe then ven-top would be quite some climbing!

2 Likes

Agreed. Probably marketing tactic

But why do we need it to be “other than the TDF”? The TDF (even if there hadn’t just been a virtual version on Zwift) plays a huge part in general cycling culture, and France itself has deep cycling roots. It makes perfect sense to me to have a “France” themed area in Zwift :thinking:

1 Like

I like the France-themed area. I’d prefer it to be joined to the varied landscapes of Watopia, so that a single ride could include parts of both areas. Some people would like to have AdZ and VenTop, for instance, in a race. (Not for me.)

I love the idea of everything in Zwift being somehow interconnected :heart_eyes: , but I believe (correct me if I’m wrong, someone) that when you choose a world, you are essentially front-loading a bunch of information about that world into your system which Zwift then doesn’t have to continually stream (other details do continue streaming in), and then to front-load everything for all the Zwift worlds into your system all at once would be overly taxing on many a system. Instead, they have compartmentalized each distinct world so that you are only front-loading so much each time you ride. As I am typing this, I find myself wondering if this very concept helps to explain the importance of completely quitting/closing Zwift after every ride (i.e. you effectively clear your system of that front-loaded cache of info and start fresh) :thinking: Hmmm…

Maybe but that doesn’t explain world changes (ie warm-up in Watopia and join a group ride in France) that systems don’t have an issue with. And Zwift does save those 2 rides separately already.

Also theoretically you could ride every world without exiting by just creating meet-ups, ie: warm-up in Watopia, create a meet-up 15 min later in Innsbruck for a route you need, quit that meet-up; create a new meet-up in France for a route, do it then quit that meet-up; create another one to join in London, etc etc. haven’t tried this myself but should be possible.

2 Likes

^ You’re making sense to me.

Yea it’s a workaround to the flaw in the UI currently but at least it can be done. Would be better if you could just end your ride back to the world selection screen and pick another instead of having to create multiple meet-ups to ride different routes/worlds without exiting.

I’m on ATV, so I don’t have it as bad as computer users apparently do—it only me takes a few seconds to completely quit and renter the game.

so why not make it actually somewhere in France like the other “real” worlds? that was my point. London, Richmond, Innsbruk, Yorkshire and New york even Paris are all based on real places where they are all supposed to be but France is not.

if they call it France why not make it in France? If not make it in France then why call it France?

Actually the London map is a mixture of properly located roads and fake roads. You don’t actually ride through tube lines to get to the Surrey Hills and I’m sure the relationship of Box Hill and Leith hill is not accurate.

Although their proximity to each other may be off the actual places are real though.

To me making a fake France is an odd choice, either make a real France or make somewhere made up like watopia which means you could add unrelated stuff. Like watopia has a volcano a desert a jungle an alpe etc the new world now has to be confined to stuff you’d find in France.

It’s not like France is short on inspirational places is it

so why not use them?

Check out what it tells you when you have Strava do an elevation correction on one of your France rides. I just unsuspended Zwift this week because of our first (real) cold spell, and rode France for my first time today. I was likewise surprised, when I looked at my Strava map, to see that it was out in the Coral Sea. Just for the fun of it I had Strava do an elevation correction and, low and behold, my 942 ft climb became over 18,000 ft. Perhaps this is how those that are at the top of the leaderboard for the Strava climbing challenge do it? (I immediately had Strava revert my elevation profile.)