Hand Cycles in Game

Hi Guys,

I’m one of a few Hand Cyclists using ZWIFT and think it would be great if we could get Handbikes for use in game, would be great feature.

After all cycling is a very inclusive sport so lets get ZWIFT to reflect it!

Thanks

Matt

13 Likes

Hi Matt, 

Thanks a lot for your input, it’s all depending on you - users. :slight_smile: I’ll add it on the request list and will see if other people will vote it up so we can put it onto our radar. 

In meantime stay tuned and Ride On!

3 Likes

Hi,

As a pro para-triathlete using a hand cycle i would be really keen for this also.

I think if the hand cycle option was available you would get much more interest from hand cyclists. 

The reason i haven’t previously joined is because there is no differentiation. 

Joe. 

5 Likes

As another handcyclist, I would also appreciate having one of our bikes in the “customize” options. Being able to compete against people that have similar equipment would really motivate me to perform even better.

4 Likes

Yes this is a great idea and would give paracycling more exposure too. I ride and upright Trike (T2 in paracycling) and there are LOTS of thise in Europe…not as many in the US. Push on  Push on pic to see entire bike…

1 Like

Another important reason for including a handcycle option: the untraditional values of a handcycle’s drag and weight. I was researching on what my avatar’s height should be (since I’m a double-leg amputee), and it appears that the height only has an effect on the drag effect. That made me realize that, even if I could put my current height on my profile, my drag would be inaccurate because a handcycle’s design makes it’s resistance against the wind very different than a typical bike does. Additionally, super long trikes like ours are bound to weight heavier than a normal bike, which then miscalculates our power.

I’m not saying that our numbers are THAT far off, but it’s worth looking into. Even if we didn’t get visible handcycle avatars, I would appreciate a simple menu button that would make the Zwift software adjust our drag and weight accordingly.

4 Likes

I just started this facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Para-Zwift-Community-112244426292110/

4 Likes

There was a feature request for this, but it seems to have been archived. Since Zwift is looking to expand into new sports (rowing has been “coming soon” pretty much since the dawn of the game), how about taking paracyclists and wheelchair users into consideration?

I’m not a user of either, but I have maximum respect for people who are. There must be a decent number of competitive handcyclists who use turbo trainers, and it would surely not be beyond the realms of possibility to work with a hardware manufacturer to customise some rollers to suit a racing wheelchair.

The vehicles would follow the same rulesets as bikes, just with slightly different parameters (handcycles would be faster downhill but slower uphill for example).

2 Likes