Group ride start speed neutralization

(J. H. Edmund Lee) #1

Lots of people complain about group rides being too fast, especially out of the start gate. It’s my experience that it’s the initial frantic start that pushes the pace up, in effect letting a large breakaway happen with the pack chasing the breakaway soon thereafter. My suggestion is to limit group ride starts so all riders are obliged to ride behind the ride leader for the first 2-5 minutes or kilometers so that the group becomes accustomed to the pace that the leader wishes to set for the ride. I think it would lead to more desirable behavior from riders on the group rides and hopefully reduce the number of unhappy riders who were dropped from the moment the ride starts.

(Johnathan Freter [DRAFT]) #2

What you don’t like the full gas standing start effort to start every event out of the pen? :joy: I would love to have a 500 meter, 1 minute, short, neutral rollout instead.

(Johnathan Freter [DRAFT]) #3

I’ve also done this and seen it done many times, a part of the gaming experience I guess, but you can start off slowly and burn a couple matches riding from the back to the front of big groups during a segment to get a faster segment time than someone else riding at the front the whole time.