FutureWorks: Steering Phase 2

+1 It makes joining a bot unnessarily challenging .

After the initial buzz of being able to move from side to side the novelty and limitation of this has kind of lowered my view of how widespread adoption might be . Lets face it this is not really steering is it . Its just the ability to select which line you will follow (which you will continue to follow without any further steering input) . Real steering should mean you follow whichever direction you are currently steering . So we already had an example posted about steering at junctions not being implemented but actually its at every corner . If you have steering enable and you come to any corner or bend in the road you will steer around it no matter what you actually “steer” . in fact in some cases totally counter intuitively it might even be better to steer opposite lock in particularly twisty roads to game the optimum distance . I understand a very basic start point has been acheiving but what is the roadmap to delivery a proper “real” steering experience e.g. Where your avatar will follow accurately what you are inputting on your steering control. If you take your hands off the handle bars and approach a corner and fail to steer a fully implemented steering experience would be for you to not actually go round that corner and in crash . I appreciate some might not want a full virtual experience like that and may want a bounce off function but still get some penalty as most modern games implement in a steering function. You have to go back quite far in gaming history to find a primitive implementation as we have here . What about a reality level setting to support that ( and indeed the reality setting to move from follow track to the steering model) Dare I say it , when will that be the futureworks because the current implementation has been in place for a long time now and is hardly future any more.

I would go in the other direction as opposed to “full virtual experience”. I would like to have steering only to override the automatic steering in certain situations. It has become obvious after trying the steering, that this will never feel right. I only need steering to overcome some mechanisms in the game, like the sticky draft/draft lock. When I am done overriding Zwift (I am no longer steering), I would like the automatic steering to kick in again.

1 Like

A keyboard or Companion app shortcut to find the clearest ‘lane’ for a few seconds would do the trick. Would allow for attacks in racing and to avoid someone you’re approaching without getting stuck behind them. After that you revert to automatic/default behaviour for say a minimum 30secs (to prevent spamming). A semi-powerup.

3 Likes

I agree that makes sense . You really dont need a fancy steering block and your handlebars to switch lanes . That could be implemented using any trigger that can send a signal to move left or right . That way everyone can at least have level playing field of the current “steering” . Its no longer a futureworks project .

That could hopefully allow a proper steering futureworks project to take shape .

2 Likes

There could maybe be different modes for steering; Always on, Override, and Off. Maybe I want to have steering always on when freeriding, but have override on when I’m racing. The Override mode can be controlled by keyboard, the Companion app or a steering block.

3 Likes

i copy this also here, sorry for my not perfect english :wink:

imade a few steering events today ( with sterzo) and yes: this was a lot of fun and better than the last times, because of the new ai dynamic pack draft situiation but i made the expierience that the info „close the gap (x meters) doesnt exist anymore. so you can only detect drafting by the upright position which works fine (except tron bike there you dont see if u re in the draft with the upright position cause on tron youre aleays in aero position). you can also turn arround sticky draft (which is fine in overtake lapped rides especially in crit races). which is now a really advance additionally to narrow steering arround curves. all inall it is really realistic. i think if more steerers in zwift this will be a nice strategical think with the new draft. cause u could make escape attacks for example or force drafters to do more :joy:

funny think is that obviously more events allowed steering (if not all). i could steer in events today where it was not allowed following zwifthacks. but i will check this furthermore.

think that somebody here talk about steering without experience. could that be? :wink: i think this idea of steer at a junctiin to make a turn is in my opinion nonsense for example. cause of goin anywhere you dont want to go. but ok if you want to have it. it could not be the greatest problem to program it

also think that steering should be allowed anytime in zwift cause its a real game changer in strategical tactics and realistic rides. races rides, anywhere. especcially in ttts f example. but i thin they kniw this and work on this project and find a zwift companion app solution for steering. this new dynamic pack thing is a clear step in this direction. ride on

mixing ant+ and ble was never a good idea on zwift. i steer via companion app which works better than furhter days. but yes. an ant+,solution is more than due. also waitin for this

1 Like

+1 on that . Zwift implement ANT+ support for Sterzo .

1 Like

Morning! Find out that also the battery compartment cause troubles, cause its not the most stable construction and its on the downside (sbdy also arguing about problems with sweat-rusty). So find out that if you only press a little on the battery compartment (left right middle) the power connection get lost and then again on (the lights going out an on). So i can imagine, that if you re in a stressful steering race and stand up on the bike this small amount of pressure could cause connection problems cause the stereo lost power on and off (hope you understand, and if you look at the construction than you know what i mean)

I try to fix this with new batteries, slightly pull the contacts inside more in the middle to the batteries (with a small screwdriver - the batteries are better and fixer placed i think). Screw the closure and fix the compartment right and left with a electrical tape. For me it looks a little more stable. Sorry try to upload a photo but it was to complicated for me

Hope this will be helpful and we see each other on the next steering Crit race (i think this could be really funny if more steered arrived).

A proof for this workaround idea is also that sterzo changing the battery compartment construction since the first charge I think. more here Review: Zwift Steering with the Elite Sterzo Smart Steering Block | Zwift Insider

1 Like

I have a Elite Sterzo Smart steering block, but haven’t used it very much. I’m mostly group riding or racing. In group rides I don’t miss steering. I can position myself to stay in the blob without steering and that is what I need. In races, like the Crit City races, I just get annoyed because it is really hard to position myself and the riders that don’t use steering, will often be able to draft better. Yes, I can corner better them, but I will be out of the draft and have to sprint to get back in. What I need is just to be able to position myself better when cornering and avoid getting stuck in the sticky draft. The rest of the race I don’t want to think about steering. There is so much that is different from IRL in Zwift, that trying to get one aspect (steering) right without the others, feels wrong.

1 Like

Hmm… Yeah its totally different. But wot u say about sprinting back after corner is an exercise thing - its not so difficult to stay in the draft IMO. You also have to steer lighter into a group if u want to stay in the middle.

1 Like

Yes, since almost everyone else is not using steering, they will take another line than you, and you will have to work to find draft again. The disadvantages outweighs the advantages IMO.

2 Likes

Will the sterzo ant+ connection be supported in the future?

Your guess is as good as everyone elses . Zwift seem reluctant to tell us . We have to base views on there actions which appears to be to offer no support for the current handling so it seems unlikely they plan to do anything with it . Just like the original Sterzo they have moved on to the next thing , until that too stops being something they can attract new customers with and needs some investing in to support those customers.

Hi there! I like steering very much! But its sad that there are only a few people using it. I like to propose that if its possible, than please make the daily steering races category free so that more people start at the same time and more steerers are on track at the same time :slight_smile: Cause if there are 4 categories the few steerers are mostly divided too… thx! I also think that this casual social rides must allow steering. Can’t unterstand why this is always forbidden. THX!

I love the steering but I love the Kicr Climb even more, so I don’t use it much now.

First company to make a Climb like device with steering gets my money!

Like the Kickr bike?

Not keen on one until you can turn the bars to turn.