FTP Test

Been over a year since people started this thread and the Wahoo KIckr still does not do an FTP test correct on Zwift. What a joke for a pay subscription to ignore that they have a problem with their software. Tried my First FTP test on ZWIFT tonight on the wahoo kickr and wish I would have read this thread first as I wasted an hour of my night and now I have to wait for another night to get my FTP test done! If you can’t do your ftp test on here what good is it? Bike just spins out at 130rpm at 150 watts in biggest gear. Just like everyone else.

Hi guys… Same problem here last night.

Tried a (short) FTP test for the first time on Zwift. Warminig up on ERG mode felt a bit wierd, but was ok.

Then the 20min kicked in and felt really good… The watt readings were a bit higher than I expected so I was really pleased.

Then, 13 minutes in, the resistance just fell away and I was riding a 125 cadence and only 150w in my highest gear. 

Different to the problems written above my resistance up and down buttons on my app didn’t work either. (Other buttons did work, like screen shot, so the app was connecting.

Zwift? Come on and help us out here!!!

Oh yeah, I use a brand new Wahoo Kickr2

Pretty sure I’m having the same issue with a new Wahoo Kickr. When the FTP test turns the ERG off I spin like crazy and don’t come close to the required watts.

Anyone???

Hey Guys, I tried FTP test today (1.13) in ERG mode and spun out around 150w as I started the 20min. So stopped test and started the Short FTP with ERG mode off. It all seemed to work and used my gears to increase/decrease power. I use a Wahoo Kickr

Same experience here with my Kickr. Like Ben, I retried the test with the ERG mode off and that worked. 

I’m having the same problems on a Kickr2. Plus I can’t see any option on the Mobile Link app to control trainer resistance. Very frustrating! Particularly now that I’m a paying customer!

I’m getting the exact same thing as described.  Warm up is fine, then when the test starts, I spin out…I’m using the zwift app on an ipad and I’m pretty sure if I use any other bluetooth connected device (e.g. wahoo app, wahoo elemnt app) it will drop the connection from Zwift. If I’m using the app, how do I switch out of erg mode? This is cobblers, frankly – as someone said a waste of an evening to do the warm up, then find the FTP doesn’t work…Has anyone successfully done an FTP with zwift and kickr?

I got the FTP Test to work by doing a spindown on my Kickr on the Wahoo app on my tablet first to get current numbers. I also used an extension cable on my USB port to place my ant+ stick as close to the Kickr as possible. I would suggest doing the spindown a few times first then hook to Zwift and it should work.

Did you try using the Resistance buttons on the Zwift mobile App to increase the resistance?

Check out this video some good advice for those with Kicker’s

https://youtu.be/6fDsrTo5Sf0

and I don’t see the resistance buttons in the mobile link app…getting frustrated now!

Hi Nicholas,

During the actual test, the resistance should FLAT but it shouldn’t be completely GONE like you are mentioning. I would contact Wahoo Support and explain the issue to them - they may be able offer some solutions as it *sounds* like it’s hardware related.

EDIT - There is a new firmware for the KICKR from Wahoo. Please make sure to update to that via the Wahoo App on your phone.

Nicholas, I got it to work, but only by turning off the ERG mode (uncheck the box) when selecting the FTP test.  The challenge here is that I needed to shift the gears to approximate the power numbers called for during the warmup phase.  Not a big deal, but not an ideal solution.

I wrote to Zwift tech support and told them about my issue and pointed them to this thread so they know others are experiencing the same problem.  Zwift then asked me to send in my “log files” which I did.  They have promised to look into this and get back to me.  I’ll update here when I hear back.

Same problem here. Kicker2 and spinning out as soon as I’m off the hills. The critical piece of info here is that I’m using Zwift on IOS so i don’t believe there is any way to change resistance during the test. Am I wrong? Please tell me I’m wrong Zwift!

@Ben and @Steve - please see my pinned response. There is a NEW firmware for the KICKR (as of this week IIRC), so I highly recommend installing it and doing another spin-down calibration again.

I’m curious if, during the 20 minute FTP test, the average wattage displayed is the FTP number (ie your actual wattage average x .95) or is it a true average during the test?  the number was a little distracting because i was seeing both my current wattage and an average but it was messing with my head because I didn’t know exactly what the average meant.

thanks.

I appreciate the help from this forum but I ha e to say this is a Zwift issue, not a Kickr issue. I have installed the new firmware and recalibrate the kickr (using the spin down) and ptoblems persist in the FTP test, but not in free rides. The first problem is that the warm up sections (ex 3 min at 250w) require a level of power that is far far more than what I put out during a free ride to achieve the same wattage - so 250 watts during the FTP feels a lot more like 350 to 400 according to the free ride experience. This isn’t a subtle issue. The second is that even during the flat 20 min FTP section the effort required to increase wattage is much higher than what it would be even in a flat during a free ride. There is definitely something going on here and I have to conclude it’s Zwift rather than kickr given that the kicker works just fine in free ride mode, and even in other erg mode workouts. Id I’m wrong let me know, I just can’t see how given the consistent problems with the FTP test both pre and post firmware update and calibration.

Hi Zwift, 

I encountered the same issue ie. did the FTP warm up and when the test started was unable to generate no more than 130-140watts regardless of cadence. I’ve just purchased my kicker2 and only had it a week. And would like to know what Wahoo app you mention earlier is as I’ve found both wahoo utility and wahoo fitness apps. 

Thanking you for your help in advance.

Stew

Hi Zwift,

I am having the same issue with my Wahoo Kickr2, I spun out at a ridiculous RPM with only 150w of power during the FTP test. The firmware is up to date. This has to be an issue with your software. I am using a MAC.

Can you please provide an update on this thread and also find a fix for this issue not just bury your head in the sand and say it’s a Wahoo issue.

Thanks

Hi Shylo,

Back when this thread was first posted, and in subsequent responses, it was a KICKR firmware issue. There is possibly a new issue that might be related to Zwift software. Are you using Bluetooth or ANT+?

Hi Eric,

was using bluetooth.

On another note, the power r kept dropping down even though my power hadn’t moved which in turn affects my average power, it happens on normal rides too, is there any way to fix this? I have changed to ANT+ however it still happens even with ANT+. any tips to fix this? I looked through support and it says it’s a KICKR issue too? which seems odd…