Frustrated

ANT+: A sensor can broadcast to multiple units at the same time. Range about 30m, normally rock solid.
BT: Only a single connection can be made. Range about 10m.

GPLama can explain it better:

ANT+ 30 m (100 ft) is a theory, the sensors (and most cheap USB dongles) will never reach it!
That’s why the most ANT+ users recommend placing the dongle so near as possible to the trainer/sensor.

That very much depends on the implementation. Sure, it’s pretty solid on a Garmin or similar. But on a PC or Mac you’re relying on a dongle - some people find them very solid while others have no end of problems. This may or may not be due to the very large variety of different ANT+ dongles out there.

Some people will tell you that ANT+ is much more reliable than BT. Others will tell you the opposite. There are a huge number of different factors at play here - different hardware (including trainers), software and radio environments.

3 Likes

I prefer ANT+ personally because I don’t like the exclusive pairing behaviour on Bluetooth, but there’s no right answer as to which is ‘best’ in terms of reliability. Both are on the same general frequency, and many people have joy simply by moving from one to the other.

Edit: what Steve said. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In practical terms for Zwift - no. But see my more detailed response above (and what Dave said too).

following but you guys need to speak English. What’s an ANT and Dongle?

ANT+ is one of the two main ways to connect a turbo trainer to your Zwift device (phone, computer etc) wirelessly. Unlike Bluetooth (the other way) which is built into most devices these days, ANT+ normally requires a dongle that you plug into a USB port. Ideally with an extension cable to get it away from your device and closer to your trainer.

Well, I have a cheap chinese ANT+ dongle (Anself) that is placed near my Direto X.
And I have a Garmin HR strap.
If I get off the bike for a nature break, the signal never drops, and my bathroom is pretty much on the other end of the house.

1 Like

I also have an Anself stick, to PC. Looks alright to me. :wink:

Ask Mrs Ant :ant:

:rofl:

Matt, from my understanding, connecting a Bluetooth headset to the Apple TV itself would be problematic, as the TV can only hold two different device connections at a time (not including the connecting to the TV remote). You could connect Bluetooth to a different device to listen to music though, I suppose, assuming there’s no overall interference with signals in the room.

That said, I wrote in another thread here, I found Apple TV to be a pain to do anything with using the included remote, which normally works fine in the main interface, but in Zwift trying to select buttons my inputs were very lagging to be picked up on, so I’d end up going down twice when I met to go down once, etc. I wanted to switch from Imperial to Metric measurement and I managed to do that, but it took five minutes to move the cursor to the right place and select it.

1 Like

I have a Mac 2020 and connect with no problem. However, my older PC takes at least 20 minutes to connect after multiple tries. So it’s hardware related. I don’t run a lot of other things while I’m riding. With everyone working from home, there is a big demand on wireless. So you have to take all of that into account.

1 Like

starters- throw the mac in the trash - half way getting your problem fixed; the other half, use any windows10 pc/laptop.

Well done for providing the most useless advice that I’ve seen here for a long time. You clearly understand nothing about graphics hardware requirements for Zwift.

4 Likes

Well, he’s not really wrong.
Every (decent) PC that came out with Win10 preinstalled should have the capabilty to run Zwift.
As far as I know, a Intel HD4000 IGP should work. This GPU was part of Intel Haswell CPUs that came out 2013. Win10 came out 2015.

Of course there are many older systems with Sandy Bridge or even older out there, where Win10 was installed and don’t have the capability to run Zwift.

Desktop CPUs are on a different planet to laptop components though. The integrated graphics on a £10 desktop Haswell i3 runs Zwift about as well as an Apple TV 4K, but the equivalent class CPU in a laptop is terrible for this purpose. Most laptops can run Zwift, but if you’re looking for anything other than a PowerPoint experience with a device that’s clearly struggling like mad, then you need more.

2 Likes

I run zwift on a GIGABYTE BRIX… and never had a problem… stop cryin - no one likes a complainer;

and i know a LOT more about tech than you ever would.

Er, okay.

I like the look of the gigabyte brix. For the moment we’ve separated the music-which is now playing through our wired speaker system, And everything else. This allows me to mix the ambient Z sounds with my playlist… And so far all the connections are holding solid. It would be nice to set it up so that I don’t need to bring my laptop down every time. It’s going to be 48° today… And 60 on Thursday here in the Northeast. Definitely going to get outside for a minute.