France Expansion

I understand there is a lot of community efforts, but I don’t think drawing lines on maps is one of those efforts.

We don’t know what level of detail is in the 3D map.

1 Like

Very true good points.

1 Like

i wonder if it’s any more automated these days than this.

2 Likes

Maybe a bit, but if you have seen any developer build a 3D game world with the latest game engine it takes a lot of time.

that look like they used Autodesk Maya, you can search for tutorials on youtube and see how much effort it is to build a 3D world.

Hogwarts Legacy Game was made in Maya

Surely some good ideas to leverage the TdFF avec Zwift partnership :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Brett. I can freely admit I am almost completely unskilled at the work Zwift devs would be doing, but if it can inspire a few more ideas and expansions then I will be very happy. … and many others also by the responses here and via the Zwift insider article

Are you saying…that with a little work we could be riding our bikes through Hogwarts and the Forbidden Forest!? I love it. Scotland already has the Hogwarts Express, and every KOM and sprint already has my petronus shooting into the distance, this is obviously the next expansion Zwift is intending.

Love this idea !!!

1 Like

Fantastic Idea and especially the Mont Ventoux routes are always on my mind when riding up the bald mountain in zwift.

Kudos! :+1:

France is great ,to have an expansion would make it even better amazing idea, would be really nice to have more European style roads and alpine climbs

There is plenty of room in the north along the coast that, from a distance looks like Brittany, maybe some Tro Bro Leon roads? The other side of Ventoux could be Flanders incorporate Paris on that side of the map instead of separate world, and also add the Hell of the North, or at least the Zwiftyfied version of it. France is my favorite place to ride. The routes are a good distance and I feel like I’m riding some where, not just doing laps on a short circuit. I don’t do that in real life. Zwift France feels like a real place unlike some of the other worlds. I really don’t understand the reluctance to expand something that could be as good as Watopia. Missing a huge opportunity as sponsors of the TDF Femme and Roubaix. I really like Scotland but unless I’m doing a workout its just too short for free riding. Listen to your users Zwift.

5 Likes

You would probably be disappointed. My gut says that there are very few people that enjoy the France world, based on what I’ve read on these forums. I’ve read more people say that France and Richmond are their least favorite worlds.

Mostly because it does not have weather, Day and night and the lighting is bad. That is my reason.

For me, France world is far too flat, besides the two HC climb routes and Petit KOM.

Zwift in general has far too few small but doable hills like Petit KOM and New York Reverse KOM, that ascend ~300-500 feet over 1-3 miles.

Under normal circumstances, when I go for an outdoor ride spring to autumn, I’ll typically climb 3+ such hills in the South Downs over a loop of ~30+ miles…

And it’s ~7 miles each way of largely pancake flat with the odd tiny bump (like most of France world) between home and Bishops Waltham. Boring on the way out, sometimes very welcome on dead legs going home.

1 Like

Heading into Flanders would be give a lot of options like this, in addition to the opportunity for some rather fabulous single day events…

1 Like

Great idea and very good suggestions! The extended France map would give the opportunity for some epic rides! Go for it team Zwift!!!

Well, then I’ll add my voice on the opposite side of what you’ve otherwise heard. France is one of my favorites. Looks nice, lots of flat (which is what I get in the real world), some rolling bits, a couple climbs, lots of sprints if you want to do that. And no Gravel / Dirt, which is a huge plus in my book.

I’m not a huge fan of Richmond, so I can see that. It’s too small, and you just do loops around the same place. But for me (and there’s a whole thread about people who don’t like it) New York is easily the worst world, and it’s so far ahead of whatever would be second-worst, I don’t even know what it would be. But that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

I too wish there were a few more climbs of that scale (at least) in France, especially in the Northeast (northwest on strava). And more Ventoux :star_struck: :mountain:
Of course still have the lots of flat stuff, but add some more and some variety (including flat). The Classic Fondo route is a little scary just because it does loops of the same stuff.

So much room for expansions in France. I have a feeling it’s not favored because there’s limited route choices. Once you get a larger network of intersecting roads I can see it really gaining popularity.