France Expansion

I don’t use Strava so this question may be silly!

But if you’re riding IRL and you pause a ride, drive somewhere and then restart the ride and carry on how does Strava deal with this?

Could zwift not do something similar but just on a larger scale?

Based on errors I’ve seen in others’ Strava rides (hasn’t happened to me yet), I think that if you pause a ride and then start it somewhere else, it takes the last GPS point from before you paused it and the point once you resume and connects them with a straight line. This has resulted in some interesting ride stats, since a lot of the time when this happens the person will ride somewhere, forget to hit Stop Ride (especially if they are using a phone, not a dedicated bike computer, to record their ride), and then drive somewhere with their phone. Sometimes this comes out as a person riding 100+ miles in a <30 mile activity, sometimes it just adds a little bit of distance (like 0.1 miles) and has a straight line in it.
I’m not exactly sure what goes on under the surface, and this is just from what I have seen/remember. But if Zwift were to do this and you could ride between all the maps in one ride, you would have lines going all over the world on Strava! I suppose that within Zwift (ex. Zwift Companion’s map of where you rode) you could make it so you put the maps right next to each other with roads between them (like if you just put short connectors between all the worlds), and you’d never know the difference.

1 Like

A year or two ago there was this Zwift bug where your warmup and event rides would end up in the same file, resulting in something like activities starting in London and ending up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean or vice versa, with the corresponding mileage. The Zwift bug has been fixed, but it looks like also Strava has changed in the mean time in that it still draws the straight lines when an activity pauses in one location and continues in a different one, but that pause does not count in the numbers. At least this is what it looks like based on a couple of recent rides with longer ferry rides in them that I have paused manually.

Anyway, if Zwift actually wanted to do this, I’m sure a solution can be found at the Strava end (and other data recipients) as well.

Nah just chuck it in some random part of the empty ocean and stop over thinking it. The level of unnecessary complexity to steal someone’s IRL Strava segment isn’t necessary, if anything it seems to be a road block for development.

Watopia is found here: Teanu
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DTTZbABKVfgchWiW8?g_st=ic

Sounds like my same thought. But I definitely won’t deny that I overthink things… :sweat_smile:.
Not sure what you mean in your second sentence?

Innsbruck and France are the ones that would have easy expansion.

France you can add some of the climbs that are nearby Alp D’Huez:

2018 it went down Alp D’Huez, 2019 it went up Alp D’Huez (I crashed at high speed about 10km before the start of Alp D’Huez).

Innsbruck you can easily just do these:

Haute Route Dolomites 2017 went Innsbruck to Venice (Mestre), the first day was Innsbruck-Innsbruck (but the route was changed because of snow), day 2 was cancelled because of snow, but you could easy reference that. You could easily make the Innsbruck world into a bigger Dolomites one, it would be beautiful.

Brilliant! Probably the smartest thing for this company to do would be to see talented folks like you and bring them on as ambassador dev agents. Give you the tools to create and build community . Nice job on the France map.

1 Like

Great idea please listen Zwift🙏🏻 we need more mountains in Zwift worlds, Please, Please

1 Like

Good idea - won’t ever happen

2 Likes

Drawing a few lines on a map is much different that creating 3D worlds.

2 Likes

looking at that Watopoia doesn’t lend itself well to future expansion does it.

a coastal path around the alpe might be good though

Wow, awesome work, you should post that on Zwift Insider blog too… The French Revolution: One Zwifter’s Vision for Expanding Zwift France | Zwift Insider

1 Like

LOL - I have more where that came from. :rofl: :rofl:

Brand new map. Coming soon. LOL

1 Like

France badly needs new roads as it is currently the worst zwift and least worked worlds

And don’t forget that France appears to already have a number of intersections with gravel roads. When are those going to be available for riding?

1 Like

Yorkshire would like a word.

I really like the outside loop of France, nice bit of flat stuff then a little climb.
I really hate the balloon fields though, constant changing +/- 3% gradients are my least favourite (see also titans grove!) i find it really hard to get in to a decent rhythm on then.

All the worlds other than Watopia and Makuri are really worse off for being isolated. Why zwift didn’t join them up is beyond me but seems to be their approach so i wouldn’t expect any of them to expand in the future.

3 Likes

Gerrie , for sure no doubt but there is talent in the community. Let’s not forget the amount the community has done for this company. Perhaps they need to look to their past to move forward where some of the best features came from folks…. And to give the right people the opportunity to create ? Now that is something I’d pay a few bucks more a month to see happen

1 Like