Feature Request: Bring back static pace bots please

I make no assumptions about the technical requirements, I just know that if people get into a group workout environment, the game already has a way to arrive at a speed for the group, and it doesn’t really matter how much power individuals are putting out. The bot doesn’t have a pacing function in that context. I assume they’d have to do some development work to make a perpetual group workout that people could join at any time. I’d give it a try if it existed.

the intervals would have to be regular so nobody is missing anything by joining at the wrong time, so all of the “build me up” and 12 week “ftp booster” type nonsense wouldn’t work but i’m sure it would not be too difficult to just have a bot set up to just do ronnestadts 24/7 or something.

the hard part would would be communicating to people why exactly there is a bot doing 40/20s and what the point of that is. and to people just riding around in free ride it would also probably look weird from the outside. also if you set up a bot to do longer intervals like 8 min 105% ftp type stuff you might be stuffed if you joined it in the middle of an interval since you don’t get a warmup unless you rubber banded it. and doing that sounds like it would be difficult unless the bot existed in it’s own empty world

i hid all of them from my home page but i remember there being rubber banded group workout type events on a regular (hourly?) basis already too… i’m sure i’ve done one before

Ronstadts?

i do prefer the music myself honestly haha.

1 Like

I think it is time to accept that Zwift currently has no intention of implementing a static pacing option. Just head over to IndieVelo where there are a range of pacing bots similar to the ones on Zwift except that they pace statically. IndieVelo is currently free to use.

2 Likes

I’ve heard rumours that some Zwift riders have created their own bots and activate them while riding to do similar to what the old static pace-partner bots did. Nothing concrete though, just rumours.

It wouldn’t surprise me. But certainly disappointing people have to go to those lengths. Something in the application itself that did exactly this would be desirable.

1 Like