Do I need an new FTP?

My original FTP test on Zwift was done on a classic trainer with speed/cadence sensors and HRM. Based on that test I have an FTP of 269 W…not great, but not bad. I bombed around a few races where I easily hit 350-400 W,

My new BKool Smart Pro 2 returns power output levels far lower — like almost 100 W lower. While it’s humbling to be passed by grannies in wheelchairs, the BKool “feels” more accurate in terms of the energy required to push up grades and sprinting. I’m not totally convinced there isn’t something awry with the new smart trainer, but should I perform a new FTP test with the smart trainer, and will my power thresholds change in training? 

I think my ZPower races were too good to be true, but the Smart Pro 2 races have been VERY humbling

This is very typical of someone going from zPower to a smart trainer or power meter. Most find out that their true FTP is far lower lower, sometimes 100 watts or more. 

I would suggest doing another FTP test.

I would also suggest not putting people down who you view as “grannies in wheelchairs”. An FTP of 269 is well above average and hitting watts of 350-400 easily should have been a clue that something was amiss with your setup.

Have fun and Ride On!

Not my intention to belittle anyone but me. I shall look at the situation as a glass half full. With lower power output readings I have that much more to improve over the winter. 

I had similar findings when moving from zPower to a smart trainer Jim. As has been suggested, set up a new FTP session on your new trainer as power thresholds are based around that FTP. figure.

Ride On!  :slight_smile:

You should really perform an ftp Test every 8 weeks or so anyway, that way you can monitor improvements in your training. You say you were hitting 350-400 easily, are you saying you were holding that for the hour or even 20 mins?

@Brian NOOO… I could hold that level for a sprint of a minute or so. I could hold 240-270 W for 20-30 minutes. My measured FTP using ZPower was 269.

My next FTP test was scheduled for 1/3 … we’ll see what the correction is.

As others have stated, it’s best to get a “truer” number and work from there than to use an inflated number and be disappointed come warmer weather when I take it back to the road. Years past I wouldn’t do much indoor cycling – boring, painful, etc. With the expansion of indoor simulations, I can supplement my strength training with riding.

My original observation/question was whether the difference in power output could be as much as 100 W – I wanted to make sure my new-fangled smart trainer wasn’t in the fritz. The answer is…yes, power output can be that much lower…so re-do the FTP and move on