Desktop Computer

Good info. Thanks, guys.

That said, I see nothing that gives me the urge to spend the money on a PC to run Zwift, but I can see how it would be attractive to some people, especially those with significant gaming experience and an expectation of more detailed graphics. These are thing that mean nothing to me, personally.

1 Like

For what its worth, I only spent $300 on a used PC with an SSD hard drive so its fast to boot up, with a brand new GTX 1650 GPU (hopefully Zwift gives this the ultra setting soon!). Only $100 more than Apple TV and far more valuable in my opinion based on what Dave pointed out above.

3 Likes

Just for comparison you could have a look at some of these clips, assuming whatever device youā€™re viewing them on can run them at full resolution and frame rate (my laptop canā€™t!): https://www.youtube.com/user/paulgrahamhealth/videos

2 Likes

Those videos do look nice. :smiley:

Can I link a tablet to the PC so I can communicate? Also how do I Discord?

This is the one I got, although the option ā€œwithout screenā€ was available, I use a tv, but the option for ā€œno mouse and keyboardā€ was not available! Yes, I know! But that suited me anyway.

Spec: i5, and GTX1650

1 Like

How does discord work? Iā€™m a PC numpty sorry but Iā€™m not thick

Youā€™d use the tablet for the Companion app, which allows you to interact with Zwift including messaging yeah. Iā€™ll let others advise on Discord, Iā€™ve not used it much.

Thanks Neil, shall I buy it?

Mr Simon Head

Good stuff, thanks. I think youā€™ve probably overpaid a little bit there versus the options I listed above (the main one being the CPU, to maintain frame rates in busy group rides you need newer/faster/stronger) but as a straightforward solution - buy, plug in and go - a PC like this is definitely well capable of providing a nice experience in Zwift.

Just had a look on eBay, didnā€™t realise how many sellers are doing this - presumably matching a used CPU, motherboard and RAM (plus Windows licence) with a new power supply, case and GPU. The used stuff is probably pulled from office-based PCs that have been disposed of by corporate businesses. I know my company got rid of loads last year when they put everyone on laptops.

Personally I would rather build myself but itā€™s not a bad idea for Zwift. Only real problem is the lack of detail on some listings. Iā€™d want to know exactly what I was getting, because some of the CPUs arenā€™t all that great.

Cool, I bought it 5 mins ago anyway! Should be better than my MacBook Pro laptop. Now, Iā€™ll look on ebay for 42" screen, can I use a tablet with it?

Mr Simon Head

Which configuration did you order?

Date: 28 April 2020 at 11:30:54 BST
To:
Subject: Your order was cancelled

You received a refund, flick-up!

eBay
Your order was cancelled

Hello Simon,

The seller cancelled this order due to the following: Buyer asked to cancel the order.

They sent a refund to your original payment method.

See cancellation details

Cancellation ID:

Order number:

03-04929-16541

Seller ID:

firstclicksolutions

Cheap Custom Gaming PC Intel Core i7 Win10 GTX1650 16GB RAM 128GB SSD 1TB HDD

Cheap Custom Gaming PC Intel Core i7 Win10 GTX1650 16GB RAM 128GB SSD 1TB HDD

Item number:

Quantity cancelled:

eBay is committed to your privacy. Read our user agreement and privacy policy. Learn how to recognise fake (spoof) emails.

We donā€™t check replies sent to this email. If you have questions, we want to help you find an answer.

Copyright Ā©2020 eBay
Inc.
All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.,
eBay Europe S.Ć  r.l. 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449, Luxembourg

Email reference ID: [#cb109648651e4ddd827772ba5582ddee#]

Ya i would be very careful with something like that.

What model of i7ā€¦it could be an i7 970 which is 10+ years oldā€¦Also many questionable places use no name brand crap-tastic power supplies, which you do not want to use! Or the lowest of the low motherboards like BioStar.

You can get a cheap system with decent parts, just takes some looking.

For something that cheap, I am going to guess these are older i7ā€™s like 9** series or Sandy Bridge 2/3 series if your lucky, which are fairly dated.

Something like this would be a better gamble than the other site
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gaming-pc-used-i5-4690K-CPU-3-50GHz-16GB-DDR3-nVidia-GeForce-GTX-770/153912274380?hash=item23d5e2edcc:g:OPsAAOSwYxBelfU-

You could upgrade the GPU and likely be in decent condition even with a 4th gen i5ā€¦

Have to buy a GPU but if it is a real CyberPower PC, the PSU and mobo should be decent in it, I would ask for more details thoughā€¦ @Dave_ZPCMR DaveH, i3 8100 should be fine? quad core @ 3.6Ghz?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cyberpower-Gaming-Pc-Intel-Core-i3-8100-8gb-Windows-10-2019/264519474085?hash=item3d9696dba5:g:9H0AAOSwtgxdvYDv

Those arenā€™t bad examples but I think people are more wary of buying used stuff from individuals rather than businesses. As to the i3-8100 system, the CPU should be fine but at that price youā€™re not really saving anything versus building your own specifically for Zwift with brand new parts, plus you have to open it up and mess with it anyway (to add a GPU, and thereā€™s no detail on the storage etc) so Iā€™d probably suggest starting your own build instead.

There are many ways to get a great experience but if youā€™re coming from nothing and want a dedicated Zwift PC I think there are two main paths Iā€™d recommend:

1. Build from scratch, capable of 4K Ultra* at 60fps+ in all but the big group rides (where drops canā€™t be avoided). Cost: around Ā£400.
    1a. Buy a custom-built PC to the same specs. Cost: 10-15% more but comes with warranty etc.
  2. Repurpose an old office system containing a 3rd or 4th gen i5 CPU, which should do 1080p Ultra* at 60fps in most solo rides and 30fps in big group rides. Cost: around Ā£250.

*When Zwift finally add the 1650 and 1650 Super for Ultraā€¦

1 Like

All good and understandable, unless i can see the parts in person, i do not buy computer stuff myself off Ebay, use Kijiji locally instead. Wasnā€™t sure on pricing as i know in the U.K they can get gouged pretty good on new parts vs used for prices in a few forums I am on where people complain about that a lot. Kind of like Canada vs the U.S and the inflated prices we pay as well vs the U.S.

I have Lenovo ThinkStation P420 with Xeon E5 with Quadro K1200.
In the Zwift settings the maximum resolution available is 1080p, even though I have a 4k monitor.

Zwift is working fine at 1080p, but it would be nice if it ran at a higher resolution which my hardware should support.