Community Welfare and Anti-Harassment Update [April 2021]

I was wondering about this too. Do these people ever go out in the real world? If so, how do they keep people from recognizing their weight and/or judging them for it?

America has a serious weight problem.
Zwift presumably helps a LOT of people with healthy weight loss.

So I ask out of ignorance:
Is removing the public weight data removing the motivation for a significant number of people who are working on healthy weight loss?
Does that loss of motivation have real-world impact? Specifically, how much weight have people lost at least in part thanks to Zwift and how much health savings is that that, in real dollars?

Does this change, which presumably impacts a much smaller percentage of people (less than 0.5% of Zwifters have eating disorders? Totally guessing), actually cause harm because it negatively impacts a much larger population- if 70% of Americans are overweight with similar numbers elsewhere?

Is Zwift trying to do something good but actually doing harm?

5 Likes

Somebody who is successful in their weight loss will upset people who are not successful. It is a closed-loop. Normally they could be referred to rule #5, but in 2021 that will be considered death-threat level harassment.

1 Like

Next stop …someone will claim death threat harrassment because they are not able to be doing the same distance , elevation , time , ftp , calories , pizza slices unless zwift remove that too.

Look out Garmin Connect and Fitbit app and all the other fitness applications that introduce any level of gamification and competitiveness as motivation nothing is safe here maybe.

1 Like

Bang on the money .

The reason Zwift need to not just reconsider because of upset community racing angst, important as we are , this has repercussions for one of the primary selling points of fitness apps they could be going down a slippery slope here to undermine a driver of uptake for the product.

This issue and annoucement is not necessarily about 0.5% of zwifters , it might be just 1 (total) .

1 Like

Everyone - we’ve heard your concerns and wanted to start a fresh thread. Please head over to this thread if you would:

2 Likes

If zwift wants to address healthy body image is should provide a great range of body shapes and appearances other then the current Alpha Avatar’s.

1 Like

I’ll add to that, just did my 1000th race last week, first race was 2016. I have never seen any comments on weight. And only rarely see any comments about flyers.

3 Likes

Turns out it wasn’t a load of hot air…

Well done (most).

1 Like

This needs a full solution…which takes development effort. It feels like Zwift don’t want to invest properly in the game to make it safe and fair.

2 Likes

There is a fine line between the two. In my experience on zwift that line is crossed more often than not.

how does putting out raw watt pace work? at 107Kg i’m putting a lot more power out ( especially on hills ) than those that are lighter ( my ftp is also higher) to keep to the same speed.
When I join a group ride the advertised W/Kg tells me all I need to know of how hard or easy a ride will be.
In a race I like to look at the results to see how I did agains those of a similar build.

2 Likes

You would need to take in account a combination of both due to varied rider weight, as you also recognize. Heavier riders travel faster on the flats for the same WKG. One way to do this is to consider the advertised WKG in combination with the ride leaders’ (or average pack) weight. As a lighter rider I know I typically need to add around 0.2-0.3 WKG to any advertised pace, but this will differ for each rider. Weight can be used, but if this were to disappear (or be discouraged) then a WKG/W pace advertisement could fulfill a similar role. What I was thinking of was something along the lines of:

“Welcome to endurance ride [insert name]. The ride leader will travel at a consistent pace of 2.5 WKG/200W on the flats and ~3.2WKG/250W on notable inclines”.

A rider can then decide for him/herself if that pace sounds sustainable and if it meets the intended training target. A 100kg rider would typically put out slightly lower WKG on the flats, while a lighter rider puts out slightly more. On inclines everyone would probably put out pretty similar WKG figures.

at 3.2WKg id be putting out nearly 350 Watts, well above my ftp, I hope it would be a short “hill”. !

As a heavy ride leader I use the range 2.0-2.5w/kg so knowing I am on the other side of the scale I will keep flat roads below 2.0 and also look at the w/kg of the riders around me, most of them should be between these limits. On climbs I will be to the upper limit knowing that the light riders will fly up the hill.

I think there need to be more ride leader education.

5 Likes

I think cat herders tell jokes about cyclists on organized rides.

3 Likes

I guess in the interim the weight column could still be removed from the columns displayed by default. It is not what you’d use to check for irregularities regarding specific riders anyway. Also, remove the red number highlights for the highest and lowest values for the weight column while you’re at it.

4 Likes

I’m inevitably one of the taller and heavier riders at any given time on Zwift, and couldn’t care less about my height/weight being shown. It just makes me want to get back into pre-pandemic shape that much faster, and gets me excited to think about how much my w/kg will improve while comparing to other riders.

1 Like

ok, thanks great job

Is that the problem !!! people thinking they have a weight “problem” !

I’m also tall and heavy, at 65 thats not going to change much, but I like looking at the results to see how I do against others of a similar age, weight and height.