Community Welfare and Anti-Harassment Update [April 2021]

Ok guys, Let not discuss other rider/leader here, this is not helping.

Let me just say there is a lot of assumptions in this thread.

6 Likes

I sure didnā€™t expect this level of response on this topic. But in hindsightā€¦ I should have!

Be patientā€¦ word is weā€™ll hear some news on all this from Zwift very soon. Theyā€™re listening, and it sounds like theyā€™ll be changing some plans based on all this feedback.

10 Likes

as usual lots of assumptions, lots of claims and sod all communication from zwift

6 Likes

Are they changing the Pizza-slice-ometer to a licensed Zwift Doctor/Psychiatrist chat box as it seems they are diversifying into new fields of expertise?

7 Likes

We will get a new in-game currency to buy counseling sessions while riding. Drops for bikes, tears for shrink, or something like that.

4 Likes

Stacey brings up a very good point that I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen yet in this thread. Itā€™s not just racers that are impacted its those that are choosing group rides as well. I donā€™t personally often need to check the leader weight on a group ride to estimate how hard the pace will be as Iā€™m not a ā€˜light riderā€™ but those light riders (especially women who tend to skew lighter than men!) will be checking the leader weight to see how the advertised w/kg of a ride and the weight of the lead matches their personal stats. Zwift (and us all!) should be encouraging all sizes of people and gender to ride in group rides with all sizes of leads and genders. Zwift shouldnā€™t be building a system that drives a behaviour where lighter riders donā€™t feel confident joining a group ride and exclude themselves. Imagine if women for example only feel like they can join a group ride led by another woman as they hope that thereā€™s a better chance that the leader matches with their weight. Thatā€™s not a behaviour Zwift should be encouraging when ostensibly Zwift is attempting to get more women riding and being confident in their abilitiesā€¦

10 Likes

Itā€™s a valid point, and fortunately its solution may be simple. If only rides could be advertised with both WKG and raw Watt pace then all info would be available without a specific focus on weight.

1 Like

removing my post

2 Likes

Appreciate the update Eric! Encouraging news at least.

Shame this update couldnā€™t of come from Zwift directly :thinking: ā€¦ but, thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Johnathan
Doesnā€™t matter what you do in life, I guess thereā€™s always a dark side, thankfully Iā€™ve not been involved in any harassment (yet) !!!
Al

Iā€™d hope so. Itā€™s been 5 days since this broke. The European Super League only took 2 days of negative reactions to start falling apart! :smiley:

9 Likes

I was wondering about this too. Do these people ever go out in the real world? If so, how do they keep people from recognizing their weight and/or judging them for it?

America has a serious weight problem.
Zwift presumably helps a LOT of people with healthy weight loss.

So I ask out of ignorance:
Is removing the public weight data removing the motivation for a significant number of people who are working on healthy weight loss?
Does that loss of motivation have real-world impact? Specifically, how much weight have people lost at least in part thanks to Zwift and how much health savings is that that, in real dollars?

Does this change, which presumably impacts a much smaller percentage of people (less than 0.5% of Zwifters have eating disorders? Totally guessing), actually cause harm because it negatively impacts a much larger population- if 70% of Americans are overweight with similar numbers elsewhere?

Is Zwift trying to do something good but actually doing harm?

5 Likes

Somebody who is successful in their weight loss will upset people who are not successful. It is a closed-loop. Normally they could be referred to rule #5, but in 2021 that will be considered death-threat level harassment.

1 Like

Next stop ā€¦someone will claim death threat harrassment because they are not able to be doing the same distance , elevation , time , ftp , calories , pizza slices unless zwift remove that too.

Look out Garmin Connect and Fitbit app and all the other fitness applications that introduce any level of gamification and competitiveness as motivation nothing is safe here maybe.

1 Like

Bang on the money .

The reason Zwift need to not just reconsider because of upset community racing angst, important as we are , this has repercussions for one of the primary selling points of fitness apps they could be going down a slippery slope here to undermine a driver of uptake for the product.

This issue and annoucement is not necessarily about 0.5% of zwifters , it might be just 1 (total) .

1 Like

Everyone - weā€™ve heard your concerns and wanted to start a fresh thread. Please head over to this thread if you would:

2 Likes

If zwift wants to address healthy body image is should provide a great range of body shapes and appearances other then the current Alpha Avatarā€™s.

1 Like

Iā€™ll add to that, just did my 1000th race last week, first race was 2016. I have never seen any comments on weight. And only rarely see any comments about flyers.

3 Likes

Turns out it wasnā€™t a load of hot airā€¦

Well done (most).

1 Like