Coasting

(Peter Castrop) #1

Maybe i am the only one. The way I race on Zwift is that I push the pedals hard like 3, 4 or 5 times and then coast. And so on. Are there more riders who ride like this? Any tips on how to stop coasting?

(Gerrie Delport) #2

??? What trainer are you using?

(Peter Castrop) #3

An Elite Direto. But it isn’t the trainer that causes this, it is me. It’s my way of riding.
The strange thing is that when I am riding on my own (not a ride or race) I don’t coast. Today I did a race and I think one of the other riders mentioned he rides the same way, sprint, coast, sprint, coast and so on.

(Daren Chandisingh [Vision]) #4

Are you a BMXer? :smiley: Burn and glide is pretty normal for them on the way to the skate park. =)

(Peter Castrop) #5

No, I am not. I have always been riding on the road and MTB. When I pedal my cadence is between 90 and 100.

(Karissa Minn) #6

One way to stop it might be to remember that when you coast on Zwift, it starts lightly applying virtual brakes (to aid positioning and stopping - I think it might be after a full second, but I’m not sure). So all that time coasting is wasted speed and effort for you! :hushed:

(Peter Castrop) #7

I know. It causes me to drop to the back of a group and then I have to push hard to get to the front again.

(Daren Chandisingh [Vision]) #8

Wait, what?! Why the $%&@? I mean, slowing due to physics engine air and road resistance is one thing, but assuming we want to brake?

I’ve only been using Zwift for 3 years and didn’t know this! :smiley: Well that changes everything and is obviously the reason I’m so slow… O_o

(Karissa Minn) #9

Haha! Unless they’ve changed it back - and I don’t think they have, but I could be wrong and I just didn’t notice - it’s been this way since beta. :slight_smile: Earlier in beta, it didn’t used to be that way, but I joined after it changed. Apparently, people were having a hard time with positioning in rides and races, as well as trying to slow down after yo-yo’ing off the front of a group. Zwift decided to add in a light auto-brake to help with this, and it must have gotten positive beta feedback because they kept it in.

Pressing “A”, on the other hand, gives you a nice hard emergency brake. lol

On flat ground, once I see my watts go to zero, it doesn’t take as long to coast to a stop as I’d expect for my in-game speed. This only seems to be cancelled out on a moderate-to-steep descent, where the level of braking applied is too small to overcome the acceleration caused by gravity. The supertuck seems to be immune.

(Daren Chandisingh [Vision]) #10

It does? I must read the manual some time. Oh… :smiley:

(Brian Griffin) #11

tacx neo will put you in a tuck and carry speed and even pick up speed on steep downhills

(Karissa Minn) #12

This happens no matter what trainer you’re on. That’s just Zwift’s supertuck. :slight_smile: The Neo would also have the same braking effect as I described above, regardless of its downhill drive.

(Danny Boyd) #13

annoying rider/style - how long have you had the elite trainer for?

(Peter Castrop) #14

Bought it in December 2017