Club limitations

To be fully transparent with everyone, I agree that 100 limit and belonging to 3 clubs is overly restrictive. I have been working through all the feedback and coming up with a plan to really solve this problem. Generally, it’s just shy of 1 month of clubs being out and there is a lot that I have learned.

Before I share where I currently am, I want to give a BIG disclaimer that this is my current perspective and most likely will change. I am working on a plan that addresses the shorter term needs in the next 6-12 months but also thinking about what clubs can look like in 2-5 years. I only mention this because I want to get your thoughts on what I am thinking to really help me shape what it should look like.

My Dilemma

Taking a look at how team racing has evolved on Zwift and also how IRL racing is done, competition won’t really be something all clubs will be interested nor will they be 100’s in size and most likely be a smaller squads of <15/20 riders. Also, building a cooperative / leveling / mission mode will be difficult as well to build 1000+ people clubs and also smaller clubs.

The needs between being goal based (whether that is cooperative play or competition) are vastly different from the way clubs are currently being used as more of an event creation and group organization / social tool.

What is the solution?

Truth is, I don’t have a solution. I am thinking think these will end up as two different types of groups:

• Social Clubs focusing on enabling the community to imagine, create and ride with each other. Also enabling club owners and members to decide how big or how many they want to join.
  • Competitive or cooperative teams will be very small and restrictive but goal oriented and highly focused on a specific outcome.
5 Likes