Can't U-Turn [October 2021] [1.18.0]

Doesn’t seem any logic when u-turn function work and when isn’t. I did couple u-turns when i ride ocean boulevard and then it worked. After that i start group ride with World Social Riders and after a finish banner i test u-turn function again, it didn’t work, only speed decrease to 24km/h.

Mine was also after a group ride. Is it only happening after a group ride maybe??

2 Likes

I wanted to do a U-turn to join Coco and her Tribe on Tempus Fugit (random random position). No way; had to finish my workout at 23 kph.

1 Like

The “u-turn/speed cap” bug is still happening for me today after finishing a group ride. I rode for a few minutes until I tried to join coco near “tempus sprint”, wrong decision, u-turn did not work and speed went down to 24kmh, ruining the rest of the session.
In addition, at the beginning of the group ride “Menu/Trainer Effect Slider” did not work either, got stuck a 100% and I could not change it no matter what. I had to restart Zwift in order to make it work again.

Please give us the choice to “Delay Updates” for mac users, a few days, maybe hours, that’s enough for us to test updates first, thus avoiding frustration at the times when you only want to have a good time.

Zwift 1.18.1 (85684)
MacOS 10.14.6
MacPro 6.1

1 Like

Pack ride on Douce France with after-party up petit KOM: event finished before fork Aqueduct/Petit KOM, right turn to go up Petit KOM, right turn after KOM, and ahead to Marina all worked, U-turn 1km after marina sprint failed, end of ride.

U-Turn/24km speed cap happened 2 more times to me today. First was in Richmond after a group ride (no where near a start/finish banner, U-Turn failed, speed dropped to 24kph. Second was riding with Diesel bot, U-Turn failed/speed dropped to 24kph and I was dropped from group.

U-turn not functioning then cascading to navigation not working and speed being limited.

Finished a lap of Hilly Route Reverse (took the 2nd place spot on the board, thank you). Crossed the banner and as soon as the power-up stopped I tried a U-turn - it didn’t function. Seemed as though I then felt some added resistance to the trainer, almost like the ERG was suddenly on a bit.

Continued heading towards the junction to turn right to Volcano. Halfway up the hill I tried to U-Turn again and it didn’t work. Tried to take the turn to Volcano which also didn’t work. Continued on Hilly Route and at the descent just before the sharp left preceding the sprint, max speed was capped at 24 kph. In fact, speed would hit 24, then drop to 22 and follow this pattern: 23, 24, 22, 23, 24, 23, 24… Though the sprint speed was still limited so it’s not a factor of the descent.

Continued onward and tried to branch off after the Villa Sprint but that didn’t work either.

Continued further along and tried to branch off at the switchbacks towards KOM which didn’t work.

Continued across the bridge and tried a U-turn again, shortly after the KOM start, which didn’t work.

Then when approaching the KOM bypass, the routing was automatically set to take the bypass but instead I continued up the hill.

All along, any time after I had selected the 1st U-turn when I was able to exceed 24 kph, I was limited to 24, cycling as above until the speed dropped below 22.

End of Ride.

Win 10
Zwift Update 23 Oct, after updating 21 Oct.

Same problem on the Alpe… so much for eEveresting!

1 Like

I road a just ride session today , not joining any event . Didnt appear to have major issues assosciated with this update , e.g. any speed limit issues. At the end of session I tried to U turn … no deal … wouldnt do it … then all the issues kicked off . pedaling hard going no where . Was end of a long session so logged out . But issue is still there and it appears not related to events ( for me anyway) .

In my activity 930249997763477552 day before yesterday I wanted to u-turn after the 5th (maybe 6th) Volcano-Lap. Afterwards I couldn’t get off the volcano route anymore (tried Italian village, volcano KOM). It was before todays *.1-Update, but after applying the *.18.0-Version.
Plattform: Win10.

Just read the following in the 1.18.0/1.18.1 update thread. Info was provided by Zwift staff:

“I’m afraid the 1.18.1 patch does not address the “U-Turn” issue. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a plan for resolving this issue.

I think you will find you can perform a U-Turn anywhere in the game without issue, until a route/lap is completed. This issue seems related to a fix added to prevent an exploit involving U-Turns on route completion. It may be that completing a route and performing a U-Turn causes the player avatar to get stuck in a U-Turn that is preparing to start but then never does, hence the forced lower speed, and inability to make subsequent U-Turns or choose intersection decisions.”

So, it seems that as long as you don’t complete a route/lap you can U-Turn without issues. But once you complete any route/lap, if you hit the U-Turn you will be affected by the bug.

Hope it helps!.

3 Likes

Just read this in the 1.18.0/1.18.1 update post.

Info was provided by Zwift staff:

“I’m afraid the 1.18.1 patch does not address the “U-Turn” issue. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a plan for resolving this issue.

I think you will find you can perform a U-Turn anywhere in the game without issue, until a route/lap is completed. This issue seems related to a fix added to prevent an exploit involving U-Turns on route completion. It may be that completing a route and performing a U-Turn causes the player avatar to get stuck in a U-Turn that is preparing to start but then never does, hence the forced lower speed, and inability to make subsequent U-Turns or choose intersection decisions.”

So it seems that as long as you don’t complete a route/lap you can U-Turn without issues. But once you complete any route/lap, if you hit the U-Turn then you will be affected by this bug.

Hope it helps!.

Unbeleivable , so this bug is deeply involved in some functionality added to the extent thats its not a QA thing its actually flawed and unrefined solution design and risk threat validation . (in turn of course as a result leading to failed testing probably on all levels … ) . Lets hope this new plan has a bit more RTM done on it , otherwise we will be chasing some more issues next week :worried:

I can see it now , I think we will find that the issue we are experiencing is working without issue , until a login is completed . :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks,
So vEveresting is back on the table by picking Serpentine 8 and manually navigating.

I had the same problem.

This bug needs to be RESOLVED ASAP.

I really am disappointed on just how many bugs there are on the Alpe. Interesting no problems deducting my $21.99 AUS each month!

3 Likes

Random, on the Volcano climb.

This bug was created by Strava so you can’t pull u-turns after the “local” legend segments and ride them over and over and over and over… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Edit: THIS WAS A JOKE!!!
Sarcasm doesn’t come across well on the forums…

3 Likes

In the middle of a course. Specifically, ascending the long S curves (Just around the first curve) towards 365 Bridge/Italian Villas junction. After that I was throttled and couldn’t make turns at junctions either.

Honest question, (albeit slightly tangential to the topic in hand, so sorry) does Strava do anything to prevent this sort of thing on real life segments?

I get that Strava probably don’t want to enable a feature and immediately have people posting 4000 reps of feugo sprint within an hour. But this solution seems like it’s being implemented in the wrong place (if Strava don’t want people skewing leaderboards with repeated reps of the same segment, then perhaps they’d be better off sorting out a better method of calculating those leaderboards; one activity will only count once per segment or something) - I don’t see why zwift is putting measures in place to constrain how people wish to spent their time riding on their product, when it’s a third party data (the LL leaderboards) that’s the target for that measure.

No, and why would they. Some Strava segments are lap routes so obviously the idea is that such segments would be done back-to-back. And the maximum number of even the shortest point-to-point segments you can do in an hour is something like 50–70, considering that the segment is at least ~10 seconds at full speed which you can’t achieve because you have to slow down for the turn.

I presume the U-turn bug has something to do with the fix for this one:

• Fixed an issue which allowed Zwifters to do a quick u-turn on a route and get the achievement for the reverse version of their current route.
3 Likes