Yesterday I compared my Tacx NEO 2T against Favero Assioma DUO power meter pedals.
The difference was larger than expected since both are considered good sources of power.
Overall, the pedals power value made more sense as the trainer under-reporting could be correlated with drivetrain losses - although more research is needed.
Also, the pedals react faster which is desirable for Zwift racing.
I would prefer not have to install the pedals on the bike on the trainer every time I’m Zwifting, yet still get consistent figures whenever the pedals or trainer are used as source of power data.
So I’m thinking about making an app to relay corrected power data from the trainer to Zwift.
The calibration process would be done by recording a few rides with two power meter sources at various intensities, then the app would create a correction profile automatically.
I believe it’s a preferable approach to setting one or several multipliers manually since:
- it would make this app a very convenient way to cheat realistically
- an algorithm relying on speed, cadence to match both power sources has more chance to make an accurate calibration profile
I have the skills and knowledge to make an Android app for myself quickly, but would anybody else be interested using it?
Potential other features I can think of for later:
- Virtual chainring to apply a resistance offset - useful for MTBs in sim mode currently running out of gears.
- Override sim mode to ERG from a toggle in the app.
- Power + Cadence + Heart Rate bridge in a single Bluetooth LE connection for Apple TV (probably not useful anymore as the companion app already provides a solution for that)
Let me know