Calcul zFTP pour Catégory Enforcement

Depuis samedi, ma zFTP est passée de 228w à 244w sans raison valable.
Comment peut-on avoir une FTP supérieure au max 20 minutes ?
ZFTP = 244w
Peak 20 mn = 238w

Zwift may overestimate your zFTP if the shorter term power values are very low. If you post a screenshot of the data you might get more advice about what is happening.

1 Like

Comment peut-on avoir une puissance maximum plus élevée à long terme qu’à court terme ?
C’est incompréhensible !

zFTP is calculated on a curve using many of your best power numbers for different durations. zFTP is not like FTP calculated from 20 minute power, it is simply a magic number. You and I have almost identical 20 minute W/kg but my power for the shorter durations is better. I remain in C category. The reason is probably that your short term power numbers are low. My 3 minute power is 4.33W/kg. My 5 minute power is 4.16W/kg. Try to beat those numbers and see what happens to zFTP. It may not change your category but you will probably notice that zFTP goes down. Do a ride where you warm up and do a 5 minute time trial.

2 Likes

C’est exactement l’inverse de ce vous me dites. Ma ZFTP est passée de 228w à 244w après avoir augmenté mon CP5 de 250 à 267w. Selon vous, comme toutes les courses sur zwift se gagnent sur des efforts courts, plus on est faible sur les efforts courts et plus on monte de catégorie ? Ce devrait être le contraire, non ?

1 Like

I won’t defend how the system works, but it’s common for zFTP to go down when zFTP is greater than FTP and the short term power numbers are low. If you click on PLUS D’INFOS, it will show you the dates of each value. That might help you understand what has changed recently.

Also, your Jan 10th race with a CP5 of 271w is no longer taken into account with the current CE calculation, since it just over 60 days old. That would help explain the increase in zFTP as well.

2 Likes

Donc, avec ce système, plus je prends de l’âge, plus je perds de la puissance sur les courtes durées et plus ma zFTP augmente. Et comme 90% des courses sur Zwift se font avec des efforts courts, je me retrouve à devoir courir en catégorie supérieure à ceux qui me lâchent en catégorie inférieure tous les jours. Ce système n’est pas équitable. Ca me dégoute et c’est injuste

That’s true, but if you try to improve your best short term efforts in free rides instead of races, you can probably exceed the numbers from a few months ago.