Bluetooth improvements for controllable trainers & treadmills [January 2022]

When will this problem be fixed for those using a 2014 Wahoo Kickr? There has been no comment from Jeremy or other Zwift people. I realize Zwift is working on the problem, but keep us informed. Also is the 2014 Kickr involved in the same issue. In an earlier post I checked mine out with a Garmin 830 and a Wahoo dumb trainer program, and the readings correlated. This has been going on for some time now.

KickrV5 fully updated
windows 11 fully updated
zwift fully updated
drivers fully updated

BTE functioning fine and incredibly close range. Turned off all noise.

kickr connects easily to zwift but instantly drops signal. all other devices connect fine to kickr. only workaround to use kickr on zwift is to connect via iphone companion app.

conclusion: zwift software is unable to properly talk to kickrv5

1 Like

Bluetooth keeps dropping the bike mid-ride on brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+. The devices are never disconnected and Zwift continues to see the devices, but it says No Signal across all 3 nodes and only restarting the app will solve the problem. Appears completely randomly from 3 minutes into the ride to over an hour.

No issues with HR chest strap, this one keeps working throughout the ride. Using Stages SB20, the issue affects the Stages Bike node across all Power, Cadence and Controllable devices. Connecting the former 2 directly to left power meter works, leaving the Controllable unfunctional and without signal, as the Stages Bike node is the only one you can connect the Controllable to.

While Zwift drops the signal, the bike stays connected and working with the Stages Link app on my phone. Also no issues with Windows Laptop or Android phone (OnePlus 9 Pro).

The issue was present with previous game version as well as this.

1 Like

And I have a new-ish Tacx Neo Bike which worked fine until the update with Bluetooth to my PC. Now it drops randomly every 5-30 minutes. It still works fine if I connect through Zwift Companion. Latest firmware for the bike, latest BT driver version from Intel.

I cannot connect with BLE on my Elite Suito and MacAir with update 12.2.1 and current Zwift update. Connected with BLE until I did these two updates on 2/16/21.

Still having resistance issues in Zwift using Wahoo Kickr. Power is way down, and it seems like there is a brake permanently applied. Once I stop pedaling, the avatar comes to a halt in a few seconds. Zwift has been aware of this issue for at least a month, but isn’t doing anything about it. Please fix!!

2 Likes

Since the last software update I am having problems with Zwift recognising my Wattbike Atom. I have to switch on and off, on and off and then (magically) it connects after about 10 minutes. Please resolve!

I have had MORE DROPS in the past two months than in the previous TWO YEARS

My Zwift workouts now look like a bumpy sawtooth with dropdowns every 10 seconds

This is what my power reading now looks like.

Same Here!!!
I’ve had problems in both ERG and SIM mode since update.
I run Windows 10 with a kickr core. all updated as afar as i know.
Today…
11 minutes in to a pace partner ride all Bluetooth sensors went “not connected”
no hrm, no cadence, no power…but my Garmin 530 still connected???
Last week…
Not fun when you lose control 75 minutes into a 90 minute workout and have abandon.
Trying to go into SIM mode to at least compete and ERG would keep initiating and ruining the ride…GRRR.

Not just ATV
I have W10 Notebook and Kickr Core and have had Bluetooth issues in both ERG and SIM mode.

I have got a similar issue since the last update (last week).

Using ATV, connection via Companion with a Tacx Flux S.
When I start climbing hills, every one or two seconds the resistance drops from 300 back to 100 and up again to 300 (reference numbers). This pretty annoying during a climb.
I don’t have issues during the flat parts or descents. Is this something related to the above issue?
It’s in both ERG and SIM mode.

I’ve had various issues with my atomx and Apple TV .

1. Losing connection completely in a race after 5/10mins
  2. Atom showing a different gear than Zwift, strangely Zwift working better than atom.
  3. Erg mode not working in training mode.
    I’m so frustrated I don’t know if it’s Apple TV, wattbike or Zwiftor all three🤪

Adding a datapoint: Tacx NEO2T has been working flawlessly on an iPad Pro 2020, and an ATV4K (and the odd occasion I run Zwift on a PC) since I bought it around the middle of last year, through all of the updates. Ditto a friend’s Tacx Flow Smart.

If I were a betting man, I’d vote for quirky/non-standard Bluetooth implementation by Wahoo. I had endless trouble with BLE drop-outs on a Wahoo Tickr in past, and there are many reports of Wahoo connectivity issues - enough to suggest a trend.

I have an Elite Suito and it has been dropping out so not just Wahoo…Never had issues before Jan update.

Ride this morning on Watopia… After crossing the JWB bridge sprint marker heading for the esses, COMPLETELY lost resistance and brought me to a stop. Took almost 30secs for things to pick back up… Seriously Zwift @shooj WHY isn’t there some focus of fixing these issues which have been introduced BY Zwift in the past couple of updates. Do we need another active campaign along the lines of #freeluciano to get traction all the way up to your CEO?

@Mark_Hulskamp
We have been working on this for some time, and will be enabling a server-side Bluetooth update this week.

Something curious came up during today’s team meeting about this issue. It’s come to our attention that those using FTMS-capable trainers with iOS or Apple TV devices may not be loading the latest version of FTMS code. In plain English, this means:

1. Visit the App Store and update to the latest game version.
  2. Force-close Zwift after each session rather than just swipe the app into the background. This step is especially important so that the game client loads the latest version of FTMS code.

iOS / Apple TV users who are not in the habit of force-closing after each session + who use an FTMS-capable trainer (like the KICKR v5/ Kickr Bike / Tacx Flux 2 or Flux S / Elite Direto or Suito / Saris H3) - would you try those two steps and let us know if resistance on hills feels better?

2 Likes

@shooj my issue is I DONT have an FTMS capable trainer, being a wahoo kicker 2016 model and this has been effecting me since the past couple of Zwift updates

Update. And if I had a later kickr, I only use the ATV for Zwift from a cold start anyway, so it would be loading correctly

Roger that, v2016 wouldn’t use the FTMS code.
The Bluetooth work we’re releasing this week will affect your trainer.

1 Like