Anyone else disappointed that the TRUE speed workout is called the Michigan?

If you’re going to use the name of a famous workout, at least give folks the actual workout!

The workout looks like the Michigan to me.

not at all. The michigan is

• track mile (15-20s slower than PB), 3min recovery
  • road mile (1min slower than track mile), 3min recovery
  • 1200m (at about the same pace as the track mile), 3min recovery
  • 800m (faster than track mile pace), 3min recovery
  • 400m (all out)

Contrast that with

• 3min moderated, 30s recovery
  • 4min threshold, 30s recovery
  • 3min moderate, 30s recovery
  • 3min hard, 30s recovery
  • 2min hard, 30s recovery
  • 1min hard

It seems you have a different Michigan

the screenshot you posted aligns with what I got in the app as well, which simply isn’t the Michigan :man_shrugging:. Speed work is nice but they shouldn’t butcher a famous workout and make folks think they’ve “done the Michigan” when it isn’t even close.

Per the Michigan Daily:

Completing a Michigan entails running a 4:14 mile on the track and then going for a 4:32 mile loop around the athletic campus. The athletes then return to the track to run 1,200 meters in 3:04 and then repeat their loop around the campus. After returning to the track, the runners complete 800 meters in 2:04 and complete the loop one more time. After the loop, the runners finish the drill by running 400 meters in 0:53.

Many of the athletes cannot complete a full Michigan workout until later in their career, if at all.

I’ve always liked this overview: (http removed since apparently I can’t post links?) lopemagazine[.com]/2018/11/16/the-michigan-workout-ron-warhurst-nick-willis-kevin-sullivan/

1 Like