Altitude training

Can you add an altitude training options for people that want this to be part of their training.

You already have the maps so you should have the altitude (from sea level).

Can this be paired to an altitude mask / altitude room that controls the oxygen level to match that altitude.

It will bring a whole new meaning to the term virtual training.

The user selects a map which automatically sends, if selected, the altitude to the oxygen machine.

The oxygen level is then adjusted for the duration of the workout.

A bit advanced for some perhapse but for keen riders who want to increase their VO2 during the dark, cold, wet months this would be an amazing tool.

Insert rolling eyes emoji.

I think Zwift have a few more pressing things to implement before going to this extreme level of realism e.g. slowing down for corners when descending.

6 Likes

Does your altitude mask / altitude room have Ant+ or BlueTooth.

1 Like

Wouldn’t you also need to adjust the pressure in the room as well?

2 Likes

Woah, you’re talking about a lot of $$$ to sync zwift with an altitude chamber. I’m going to say this falls into the category of negative returns.

1 Like

I mean, you could just hold your breath. You could simulate reduced oxygen saturation by reducing your respirations. Maybe instead of 30/min try 20/min with a 3 second pause between breaths. Low tech and effective!

I am new to this forum and perhapse had higher expectations then I should have had.

I do not believe that this will be as hard to set up as and run as some might.

There are already companies making masks and inviroments so pairing one to Zwift can’t be that hard.

Local pressure Shouldn’t be of any importance. It’s the o2 that counts.

Guy Martin converted a room in his house when he attempted break the world record for fasted peddle bike. Google it if you haven’t watched it.

Much like the Headwind fan, I suspect that this is much more dynamic control than you really want/need. If you want to train for riding in, say, Denver, just set your altitude room/mask to one mile high and ride on!

2 Likes

Wow.
First I’d have to buy a smart trainer, and they are too expansive for me :smiley:
But I live 900m above sea level, so I’ve got that going on for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sleep high, train low! If I’m spending that kind of money, I would move to 8,000 ft and Zwift in a oxygen rich chamber, to simulate sea level pressures.

I’m guessing you would lower pO2 by displacing o2 with nitrogen. Would you do this using a pre-made hypoxic gas mix, or would you run an oxygen concentrator, and breathe the waste gas, piping away the oxygen enriched air?
You could build something like this using an oxygen cell and, with either a solonoid driven gas valve or a relay controlled oxygen concentrator. You would need some cheap circuits to control the thing and an elevation map from Zwift.
It’s doable— on your own. The price would by under 500 dollars, US. But— just because a thing can be done, doesn’t mean you should. Hypoxia will kill you. And then it’s not a game anymore.
It may be cheaper and less litigious to buy a trailer in Leadville Colorado with a good internet connection. Plus, I don’t think any of the existing courses on zwift really push altitude all that much. I think the summit of the Alp is still lower than Salt Lake City, Utah.
Breathe On!

1 Like

ANT+ does not, but Bluetooth 4.0 has support for all the following:

1 Like

This sounds great in theory. But in actual fact it doesn’t simulate hypoxia. It just increases CO2 build up. Holding breath. Breathing masks that restrict O2 intake are actually not effective for anything other than perhaps strengthening intercostal muscles. Ie breathing muscles.

1 Like

I’d s worried about what happens when Zwift release a buggy update. We go nuts when some trainers suddenly lose resistance, I’d rather not take my chances with the O2.

5 Likes

Ha!
Dear Zwift,
Since your most recent software update I’ve been having trouble with my Life-Ex Breathe EZ Hypoxic Kicker model #23-DPG, experiencing more frequent blackouts and periods of amnesia. I have headaches all the time and my speech is getting slurry. My face feels funny. Wait— what was I saying?

…Which is nice…