Age Categories - Master/Veteran?

I have noticed that Zwift Power uses names for the Age group that some fall into but cannot find where it tells you what ages these refer to.
For example “Masters” Veteran” etc. I fall into the 50+ but do not know if these guys are younger or older than me. I need to know if I am doing OK for my age or if I have a lot more work to do!
Thanks in advance for any replies
Lisa Tee

7 Likes

Took me awhile to discover on ZP that hovering your mouse over certain data headings will reveal a pop-up description.

Bertram Redmeijer used the mouse hover to revel age categories and posted this: posted “Senior = 23 to 29, Master = 30 to 39, Veteran = 40 to 49". Not mentioned categories, that are used, are: U23 (under 23); 50+ (50 to 59) and 60+ (60 to 69(?)). There might be a 70+ category, I haven’t seen it yet.”

8 Likes

Thanks so much! This makes me feel so much better! I don’t mind getting my ass by someone younger than me!

6 Likes

It’s about time these categories were updated, or at least some named ones added for people older than 49… I know they come from traditional race categories (from the days when you were “old” at 30 and most people considered they were past it by the time they were 40 and took up pipe smoking and cardigan wearing), but these days the idea of a kid of 40 being considered a “veteran” is a bit farcical…

If we are to stick with senior, master and veteran, what names could be applied to 50+, 60+ and 70+? How about elder, patriarch and methuselah…?

24 Likes

Tbh I know some 80 somethings that still ride hard. What would we call these hero’s?

8 Likes

I am 75 and female ,would love some age gruop events.I love to ride and compete in senior games.
I dont mind being the Lanterne Rouge in the Zwift rides

18 Likes

Yup. 70+

1 Like

Thank Heavens!! I assumed Senior, Master, and Veteran must refer to, you know, old people. I’m 66, but don’t usually feel old at all…until I looked at those Zwift Power race results and thought my butt was getting smoked by all these really old farts. I feel so much better. Think I’ll have a couple beers to celebrate!!!

9 Likes

Looks like these got updated yesterday. They’ve now bumped people in their 20s into “Masters” as well. Its getting ridiculous.

1 Like

I believe it’s the year you turn the age - so they’re labelling 29 year olds who turn 30 during the calendar year Masters. Not sure why, in my IRL cycling races it’s based on actual birthday. I imagine that’s different for all sanctioning bodies though.

1 Like

Yup. For both USA Cycling (USAC) and the International Cycling Union (UCI), your racing age changes on January 1st, regardless of your birthday. It is your age on 31 December, meaning the current year minus the year of your birth. My racing age is 52, even though I don’t turn 52 until December.

1 Like

Official age cats are per 5 years. The only event organizer that worked with this, ZHR, stopped because of lack of support from Zwift, maybe other parties.
In E-sports it would even be possible to use smaller selections.
Working with names & numbers is incomprehensible. Dividing under 35 (or even 40?) is unnecessary.
Personally I like the age grading system. It’s very easy for the software co’s to develop the algorithm, which can even be flexible…
It has several advantages. The biggest being that it allows age graded starting. Which makes it a true race!! Also something that’s hard to organize IRL but not in E-sport. No drafting of course.
I’m also thinking about ‘age graded’ resistance…

1 Like

Masters SA is still doing events, but only one time slot makes it inaccessible for some. Looking at the results of those events, I’m sure I’d be blown out the back compared to a CE event based on my power numbers.

names = not functional That was in the Middle Ages… Even the sports ‘unions’, very very dusty institutions have meanwhile replaced by 45-49 etc. Still too long as one can do with 45+ etc.

Well this 60+ person is looking for the “Decrepit” category…

Not all of us are but I sure am starting to feel it…

I once asked about age group racing in the ZRL FB page (I was a mere 72 then) and got a bunch of mad emojis. I think the 20-somethings were upset at the prospect of losing cannon fodder.

Cannon fodder… I had to look that up. Same thing exists in my language.:upside_down_face:
I’m a little younger. In overall results I’m still in the first half… or not far from that…

1 Like

Yep. I’m 70+.