6th Gen iPad - performance

Hi All,

Just about to spring for a 6th Generation iPad Wondering what the performance will be like for large Zwift group rides. To be honest I’m just using with a non-smart trainer and power for now on my phone but want to run the same setup with a bigger screen, hence the iPad. I’ll also want to be able to upgrade to a smart trainer at some point soon.

Specs are

A10 Fusion chip
2 GB RAM
Bluetooth 4.2
9.7 Display
Wifi only

Thanks in advance

I cannot say for sure, but based on information in other threads here, the problematic iPads or iPhones are older models w/limited RAM (1GB).

Any specific reason you’ve settled on a 6th gen iPad? You could future proof yourself a bit w/one of the newer models. All of the other models (i.e., mini, Air, Pro) all have more RAM, more storage, and a cpu that is 2 generations newer. Granted, they all cost a bit more. Lastly, the rumour mill has the standard iPad and probably the iPad Pro getting refreshed before end of year :man_shrugging:

Thanks for your reply, it was really just down to cost to be honest. The iPad mini has a smaller display albeit only a little bit smaller - so I was weighing up performance, cost and screen size. I think you nailed my main concern…RAM.

Hi Nick, I am considering to buy the very same iPad and was wondering whether you ended up using this device, if yes how are your experiences?

Thanks

I have a 6th gen iPad. It’s great. No problems at all. When I occasionally decide to use my Apple TV box I will use my iPad for the Companion app. It is especially useful for that as the numbers are bigger and the map is easier to see it. I love iPad very very much. It is so excellent for Zwifting.

Hi Chris,

Yes and been using it for a while now. You will not get the best display resolution with rendered shadows etc, but most definitely fit for purpose.

I got a little bit tired of the small screen real-estate to be honest, this was fixed by using a Lightening to HDMI adaptor so I could mirror the iPad display on my large computer screen (working from home does have it’s advantages in covid times).

The mirroring is limited by the iPad resolution but means I can read the time splits etc in Zwift races. Also there is a new iOS update that allows you to connect a bluetooth mouse to control a ‘cursor’ on the iPad display - should make it easier to give ‘Ride Ons’. All in all a pretty good solution for the price if Apple TV isn’t an option - I don’t have a permanent location for trainer etc for my Zwifting, and an iPad setup is less permanent and can be packed away.

Ride On.

N