12 speed bike and 11 speed tacx

Hi is it possible to use my 12 speed bike on my tacx who has a cassette with 11 speed? I could buy a 12 speed cassette for my Tacx but the body/hub allows max 11 speed

If you’re using SRAM 12 speed, you need to install the appropriate freehub body first.

1 Like

if you are using campagnolo components you can put a 12 speed cassette on your tacx because campagnolo designed their 12 speed cassettes to fit wheels that take 11 speed cassettes - they made the chain thinner.

1 Like

Hi Paul

I have Shimano on both bike and trainer.

Hi Chris

I have Shimano on both bike and trainer.

Shimano 12 speed road cassettes are intended to work on 11 speed freehub bodies. I don’t know for sure if that’s the case with the Tacx Neo freehub though - you might want to ask Garmin support, or perhaps someone else will chime in here. Or just try installing the 12 speed cassette on your existing freehub and see if it works. Shimano 12 speed mountain cassettes use a Microspline freehub body which Garmin sells.

As others have said a 12spd road cassette will fit an 11 spd free hub body. The only issue might be clearance against the body of the trainer as the largest cog on a 12spd cassette sits a little more to the inside. I’m not familiar with Tacx but I know on a Saris H3 trainer you can’t shift into the largest cog as the derailleur cage hits the body of the trainer. You should be able to eyeball it though to know for sure.

1 Like

Actually it looks like 12 speed Shimano road cassettes should work: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=XaQOfBhlmT7basLCyT7Pi7

1 Like

Thx Guys! Saves me some money :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Did it fit?