11yo racing with high w/kg

Hi. I’m Bjorn. I’m 11. I tried my first zwift race yesterday (KISS). I tried to sign-up for cat C, but was put in cat A. I assume this is due to my recent Zwift FTP test results (4.6w/kg- 70lbs). I do ride a lot, and have high w/kg, but I got destroyed racing the A category. Is there some way to race a lower cat, until I prove my abilities?
Thanks!
Bjorn

Zwift don’t put you in a category, I assume you clicked on A. It is easier to use the companion app to select the correct starting group.

With a FTP of 4.6w/kg you are a “A” but you can see there is a Power range as well so your FTP power is about 146w and that will put you in C.

2 Likes

Yep. Saw all that. Selected C in the companion app, but when I lined-up I was listed as one of 5 A’s in the race.
Bjorn

…but good to know Zwift is not auto-selecting the cat for me. I’ll take a closer look when I join the next race. Maybe I missed something between selecting the cat in companion, and joining the race in Zwift?
Thanks!
Bjorn

It’s possible you clicked on the race on the log-in screen of the Zwift program. This is a very janky part of the Zwift user interface (especially on iOS) and you could very easily sign up for the A cat race without knowing it.

I will be more careful next time. Thanks for the info!
Bjorn

1 Like