"10ft User Interface" for menus (e.g. Like Kodi)

Hi,

Watching Zwift adverts, you see a lovely clean room, with no keyboard and mouse in-sight. It gives the impression that the system can be operated using a RF remote control, just like Kodi (which is also designed to be used on a TV at a distance, rather than at a desk with a keyboard and mouse).

The reality of Zwift is very different. The menu system can only be navigated using a mouse (which is beyond rubbish when you have sweaty hands), but the in-game functions are keyboard based (which is how it should be).

Would it be possible to make it so that Zwift can be used from splash-screen to exit, using keyboard keys only? It would be great to be able to start the game at windows boot, and then use a single remote control or keyboard to navigate the menus (only using left, right, up, down, esc, enter), allowing mouseless selection of world/route/workout and start the ride. This is surely a very simple improvement.

Also, there needs to be some other sensible shortcut key changes. For example, if I enter the training menu using a shortcut key, I then have to pick up the mouse to exit it back to the game (which is bonkers). If I press escape to exit the training menu, it tries to get me to exit the game and save it. This is totally unintuitive and illogical.

Please Zwift. Help us make our pain caves a little bit like your adverts!

Thanks

Rob, I’ve been wondering how often Zwift employees visit this forum. Sometimes I think they very rarely come here, if at all. Try to find a single reply directly from Zwift, and you will understand what I mean.

I wonder if you know that most key functions of Zwift can be controlled either using keyboard shortcuts

or from the Zwift Companion app, using touchscreen on your phone. Amazon carries many different handlebars phone holders which you can use to keep your phone within reach.

You really only need a mouse when you do not need to pedal. At this moment, you can get off your bike if you need to.

To give you an example of an alternative solution, if you want to use your mouse while on the bike, I made a simple holder for a wireless keyboard and mouse touch pad which is attached to handlebars.

Hi

I am happy with the keyboard shortcuts, but like I say, you should be able to use the keyboard all the time, and should never need to pick up the mouse at any time at all.

I have made my own bespoke keyboard for the main shortcuts, to make it even easier.

It looks a bit pony, but works really well

Once ‘in game’ I only use the companion app, unless I want to change bikes.

And the companion app is great… but how many times have people dropped their phone on the floor in the middle of a ride? Or how many times have you not been able to get it to work, because there is sweat on the screen?

Why does the companion. App do most things, but not all things? Why won’t the companion app let you change bikes.

Like I say - the system should have one method of simple control, that will let you do everything. Everything else is a bonus.

Andrei,

Where is your other Rowenta, behind you? They are great fans. Is that a heater or air purifier to the left of your bike? TIA

Rob Bo, I strongly believe that “sweat on the bike” or “sweat on the phone” is an issue of insufficient fan capacity. I sweat a lot, but with my three fans it evaporates from my body before I can drop down. I never have any sweat on the trainer, mat, or on the phone.

David Kelly, my two Rowenta fans are on the left and right side of the TV. Wahoo Headwind blows air from below onto my torso, and Rowentas blow on my face and chest. The white units (well, you see only one of the two in the picture) are air purifiers.

1 Like

Andrei,

Since you seem to be a man of very good taste would you mind my asking what brand of air purifier you are using. By the way, I use one Rowenta on my back and neck and a Kickr fan and Rowenta on either side in the front.

@Andrei_Istratov - I don’t think the solution to “the user interface is inconsistent and needs phone/keyboard/mouse at different times to access all the functions” is “get a bigger fan” :smiley:

Have you tried pedalling harder? :smiley:

But joking aside, when sitting in a garage at -4 deg C, the last thing I need is a stronger fan on me, but I am still sweating

Rob,

I wear a light pair of cycling gloves and I think that helps keep one’s hands dry.

Rob, we all know from physics that speed at which liquids evaporate are determined by two factors, ambient temperature and partial vapor pressure over the skin which can be changed significantly by an air flow over the surface. Just think about how clothes left to dry outside hanging on a rope can quickly dry in a wind, even if temperatures are relatively low.

Of course you need less cooling in a garage at -4C than in a living room at +23 C, but as you said you still sweat, and sweat evaporation rate at -4 C without air movement will be very slow. Did I say that the amount of water that can be suspended in air as vapors (air humidity) also depends on temperature? Air humidity and air temperature and air movement are all important for the speed at which sweat evaporates.

If I did not have fans, I would not be able to sustain 300 watts (nothing stellar, but this is where my FTP is) for any extended period of time, and I would be sweating like a horse. This is what I experienced many times in a spinning class in a gym. They run spinning classes in an air conditioned space which is always cooler than the rest of the gym, but the towel which I absolutely had to put on hadlebars to protect the spin bike would be soaked in sweat by the end of the class, and so is the spin bike and the mat below it. So I know exactly what you mean. Having said that, I can ride harder on my Kickr Bike than I ever could in a spin class, but thanks to my fans, I do not need a towel. A head sweat band is sufficient. I know exactly what would happen if I turn off the fans. In fact, I went through that early in my Zwifting, and this was the reason why I invested in all that cooling.

Another factor to consider, when you ride on your bike outdoors at a decent speed at full power, do you also have sweat all over your bike computer and handlebars and bike? I bet, you answer will be “no”. Why do you think this is the case? Even three powerful fans would not get even close to the amount of air which moves relatively to you and your bike when you ride on a highway.

1 Like

All of this is very interesting, but none of it has anything to do with menu structure and having a consistent control and navigation functions within the UI.

I use mine all the time for handing out Ride Ons. Finding the cursor is a challenge, and sometimes by the time I’ve located it the thumb has disappeared mind.

1 Like