Zwift's new smart bike & trainer - pics and specs

Yes, it can definitely be costly. :woozy_face: Just getting hold of the parts right now isnā€™t easy.
Also, strangely, Shimano only makes its shortest cranks ā€” 160mm ā€” in the 105 groupset, while Ultegra and Dura-Ace start at 165mm.
[Edit: the new Ultegra and Dura-Ace are now available in 160mm, too, apparently. Trickle up FTW! :partying_face:]

There are lots of people who apparently adapt easily to differing crank length and question the importance (certainly regarding efficiency), so I can fully understand if this aspect wasnā€™t high on the priority list when designing smartbikes. (Peloton seem to have gone for a one-size-fits-all 170mm.)

Greetings, fellow shortarses. My bike in 52 came with 170mm cranks.

3 Likes

Youā€™re a giant, man - mineā€™s a size 47 frame. :laughing:

[Edit: And it still came with 170mm cranks!]

1 Like

the 3/4 angle on DCRā€™s website makes me think that itā€™s made of plastic and something is going to snap if you put 1500w through it. the DD itself seems nice but itā€™s fundamentally just a neo, right?

i also think the DD could do with a bigger/longer base, at a glance. especially considering the height of it

Maybe Iā€™m just buying bikes that are too big. My road bike is a 54.

Well, I guess this means they are unlikely to nerf the tron bike in game if their flagship hardware is essentially a tron bike - they need to keep it something to aspire to :slight_smile: Hopefully when they have 1st party hardware in the wild they still have adequate resources to fix issues found in 3rd party hardware everyone currently using the game has already dropped their cash on.

Personally I already have a trainer now, so am not in the market for a new one, and hopefully donā€™t need to be for a while.

@SeattleSauve you donā€™t play Rocksmith do you? :guitar::rofl:

I used to play a lot of Rocksmith, but havenā€™t in the last bit - maybe when the new version comes outā€¦ I havenā€™t tried doing both Rocksmith and Zwift together however, maybe I should see if I can do the Alpe de Zwift while playing Free Bird on a loop in Rocksmith :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thought I recognised the name from the Rocksmith forums. I used to post there as tjdrico/OldManRico.

I thought you were going to change your name when you moved from Seattle. :wink:

1 Like

Ah cool, glad to see someone from RS here too!

I should have changed the alias, but never got around to it.

Rock/Ride On! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wonder if you can ride out of the saddle on it? :rofl:

Or if theyā€™ll update the firmware as often as theyā€™ve updated the Tron in-game? Iā€™ve had my Tron 3 years, and the only time they updated it was to make it perform worse.

1 Like

Now you come to mention it, thereā€™s also the question of the pointless bottle cage. Everyone knows that tron riders never drink. :laughing:

2 Likes

Hadnā€™t even thought about this prospect.

When I first read the dcr post I was disappointed that it seems Zwift engineering is not really leading this endeavor. With Zwift hardware I was hoping for a revolution in indoor cycling simulation. Steering by leaning, natural movement while riding, climb angle adjustment, sweat proof VR. You know the future thatā€™s been teased off and on for years. I mean just some small progress on any one of those would be exciting. Instead the first Zwift hardware seems to be a highly marketing led endeavorā€”starting with how it is supposed to look, and then engineer something to work underneath the plastic. Iā€™m sorry, I just canā€™t get excited about irl tron wheels.

I guess virtual shifting and removing the cassette is something, as is the ability to upgrade from trainer to bike. Still a huge let down on the simulation front though. Maybe that game controller does something we all missed? Button steering and shifting? Not exciting. It is called a game controller, and one thing Iā€™ve wished for is more focus on fun in Zwift. Scavenger hunts and stuff like that. More and better MTB routes and such. Actually has me more excited for wahoo bike 1.0 and potential of wahoo bike 2.0.