Zwift's new smart bike & trainer - pics and specs

This has all the looks ot an April Fool, but actually seems to be real.

DC Rainmaker has the info - Zwift Shows Off Zwift Ride Smartbike & Zwift Wheel Hardware Designs | DC Rainmaker

Don’t know about you, but that first pic had me thinking April Fool’s day came early. I guess now, I’ll go read the rest of the post :smile:

edit: I read the complete post. While I can’t say I like the looks of it, it has promise. The specs are good. The upgrade path from trainer to bike is also a plus. Lastly, if the price point is for real, then that’s a big kick in the nuts to the competition. Big negative for me would be it’s not only going to be 1st gen hardware, but it’s going to be 1st gen hardware from Zwift which is especially scary. So while Zwift is debuting first gen hardware, Wahoo and Tacx/Garmin are likely to be releasing second gen hardware in 2022(??).

2 Likes

+1 … hope Zwift pick up their support game when the doors open.

I’m struggling with the size of “the Wheel” part. Probably preclude using my old 26" backup mtb. They seem to be appealing to a certain buyer with the looks (which isn’t me).

The trainer looks interesting. Beyond the novelty factor of the whole thing looking like a Tron bike, I’m not sure what would compel me to buy the front section. They’d have to design the game around it for the value proposition to stack up - something they previously claimed wouldn’t happen.

It looks like certain technologies are being abandoned with this proposal. Steering for one, I can’t see any mention of steering and the front end looks fixed.
Likewise it seems there’s no thoughts about having an elevating front end like the Kickr Climb.

It looks pretty cool I have to say but isn’t any advance over technology already available and as others have and will point out Zwift has not covered itself in glory with it’s response to bugs etc… so I think there will be an awful lot of reservations about trusting it’s hardware.

How would you get repairs etc… if it became faulty? Where would the support base be? How would the bike be distributed, direct from Zwift or via retailers?

For me I’m more likely to stick with those with established history in the marketplace such as Tacx and Wahoo.

1 Like

To all those early adopters who are going to have to deal with the bugs and hardware failures (cough cough sterzo), we salute you!

I only just saw this thing for the first time 15 minutes ago and it already looks dated. Like something you’d see in a movie from the 80’s about the future.

5 Likes

The absence of a specification of the communcation protocols - support for industry standard protocols is a pretty germane consideration, and the fact it is absent from the survey strongly suggests that it will be proprietary which, given their steering gizmo, would be par for the course.

Which pushes it into the Gillette model (the razor/bike is cheap, the blades/subscription is where the money is). If you buy the bike then you cannot move to a competitor (without losing your investment).

The “Z cog” sounds useful, no idea how it works, but I’d be interested in that. I have a direct drive trainer (tacx neo) and I do very occasionally change the cassette on it to put different bikes on it. If I could change bikes with different gears without having to touch the trainer then I would definitely consider buying it.

My only thought is that it is a single cog on the back and it actually slides in and out so as you change gear the derailleur moves, but the cog just moves with it.

1 Like

Have not read the article yet but if it cannot change colors like a Tron bike…what a waste of opportunity…

Just read the first paragraph…I am now saving my pennies!!!

When you sit back and think about it, the Tron design is a bit odd. We all know what it is, as will fans of the movie I guess. But what’s the main target market for this bike? Surely it’s not people like us; already on the platform with a ton of investment made, engaged, and aware of what the Tron bike means to Zwift in terms of effort to obtain it, its attributes etc.

I thought the whole point of Zwift going into hardware was to reduce friction of getting on the platform in the first place. Going after the casual market who don’t want to think about traditional bikes, connections to software and so on. Will that market think a design effectively based on an in-joke is cool and desirable? Worth spending thousands on, to stick in their living room? I’m not so sure.

2 Likes

Indoor training bike with space for only one small water bottle = non-starter for me.

2 Likes

“…I thought the whole point of Zwift going into hardware was to reduce friction of getting on the platform in the first place. Going after the casual market who don’t want to think about traditional bikes, connections to software and so on…”

I think the friction reduction will be bug reduction if you get the Zwift bike…not the cost of entry. The near infinite platform variations are probably driving them mad. You hate bugs? Get the Zwift platform! And really, if it didn’t have the futuristic/Tron look the uproar would be very loud. The current crop of bikes is…well…fugly. The Kickr Bike has the right idea but the end result looks like someone’s high school welding project.

That’s exactly the kind of thing I mean. Instead of being a catch-all, practical way to experience the best of everything Zwift has to offer in the least complicated way, it feels like a novelty. If real, it’s missing major features that are already on the market (particularly steering and elevation), meaning it’d just go into the mix with the rest and stuff like “where do I keep my second bottle?” become part of the discussion. But it looks like the Tron bike! You know, Tron! Guys…?

1 Like

Because the Zwift platform is well known for its regression-bug-free software, you mean?

3 Likes

A couple people have mentioned lack of steering, but the DCR article mentions it at least twice? (as being included)

Via buttons, which every other smart bike has. Or a game controller that comes with the separate trainer. Nothing physical like the Sterzo/Rizer, is what I mean.

Out of context…include the previous sentence…

Eh, that’s fine, you actually steer a bike by leaning anyway. Prefer buttons to conditioning myself to turn my handlebars…

So would I, as it happens. :+1: I’d probably buy an official steering kit that went on my bars. I’m just saying that it doesn’t fit with Zwift’s own initiative (Sterzo).