Zwift Crashing/Freezing Mid ride

Fairly new to Zwift. Have been using it for about 3 months. Prefer to launch Zwift on PC because of the bigger screen.
The past 5 times when I rode, regardless of routes, the app crashed in mid ride. No pattern is noticed. After the 2nd time I attempted to look for a fix cannot find any tech support information.
I am not sure what to do.

good luck. Iā€™ve been dealing with this issue and zwift support is useless. They have known about this since Oct 2021 and have done absolutely nothing.

see the treads about zwift amd display drivers, freezing, crashing etc. Well documented issue, but zwift has no interest in looking into. Terrible customer service.

3 Likes

Hi @D_K7, I took a peek at your profile and it looks like youā€™re probably running into the Intel issue in this topic

Perhaps. Thanks for your suggestion.
I got my new laptop just 6 months ago and I donā€™t play games, and I wonā€™t be upgrading my system. If Zwift is not compatible then Iā€™ll just not use Zwift.

1 Like

Hi @D_K7

Itā€™s understandable and I likely wouldnā€™t want to upgrade my computer either if Iā€™d bought it only 6 months ago. In your case, I think weā€™ve identified the issue and for more information and some possible workarounds, Iā€™d like to follow up with you via email and discuss this further.

I noticed you wrote in to our support team some time ago, but it looks like you may have written to the support email address, and those are now auto-closed by the system since we no longer use that email. Instead, we suggest that members contact Zwift support through our support website in order to get technical support.

That being said, Iā€™ll be sending you an email follow-up shortly with more information. Thanks!

This answer is so ridiculous. I had the exact same issue on my main laptop pretty much a year ago. Already back then support could only say ā€œuse another laptopā€ and ā€œsome people had success with rolling back driversā€. The point is: ā€œupgradingā€ the laptop does not help for most models (itā€™s pretty difficult to avoid intel integrated graphics unless you buy a 15 inch gaming laptop). There is no confirmation yet that 12th gen intel is not affected. Instead one should downgrade to a 9th gen laptop. Or just switch to SYSTM which now has a racing optionā€¦

I agree. Zwift is virtually unusable with AMD GPUā€™s and to see Intel folks have issues too is surprising. Iā€™ve received very poor responses from zwift. They need to freshen up their CS skills a lot. I am done with zwift, going to wahoo.

Hey All,
I had a Microsoft Surface 3 Laptop (10th Gen Intel i5 CPU + Integrated Graphics). Every time new drivers were released I had to roll back the Graphics drivers to March 2020. Eventually I wasnā€™t able to do so via Intelā€™s site. Fast forward, I just replaced with a Microsoft Surface 4 Laptop with an AMD Ryzen CPU + Radeon Graphics. ZWIFT is running two days in a row perfectly smooth at 1080P resolution. In addition there are now shadows and lighting effects present that werenā€™t able to be rendered via the Intel based Surface Laptop. Itā€™s 100% better.

Itā€™s Weird anywayā€¦ Itā€™s being running great since February till may with driver version 26.20.100.7985 (intel HD integrated), but now is freezing almost in every world of zwift. It freezes in Makuri in every single ride, and sometimes in NYā€¦ Watopia is the only one that behaves well. No clue on what is going on but is very annoying. Zwift support invited me to get another device or cancel my suscriptionā€¦ Great support!!!

My solution has been to delete and reinstall graphics drivers. I replaced an old mac (mousepad issues) with an ACER Aspire 5, Intel Iris Graphics, and had freezing issues. Two weeks ago reinstalled graphics drivers and no freezing. I have been in group rides, pace partner rides, solo rides, used chat, used companion app. So far so good.

How do I roll back drivers ?
I too purchased a lap top as per spec required, now crashing every ride.
Shocking service after 5yrs.

Whats the GPU manufactuer?

During rides (or even on the main screen before stating a ride) Zwift keeps locking up on me. Itā€™s video related as even my mouse is locked up. If I hit the Windows key I go to Windows and my mouse is working again. I can then click on Zwift and itā€™s unlocked and then I can continue the ride (most of the time). This will happen about 10 times in an hour ride. Doesnā€™t seem to be a ryme or reason to it.

Since the last update, now Zwift is totally crashing and I need to restart the app. Happened twice today. Once while just waiting on the home screen and another time in-game.

Iā€™m running the latest version of Windows 10 (canā€™t run 11 on this system). Iā€™ve tried two video cards (1060 w/6GB RAM) and a 1070 with the same results. Tried totally uninstalling Zwift and deleting everything and reinstalling. Also totally uninstall and reinstall the latest video drivers. Same result. Running 8GB RAM on an 8-core AMD FX-8320 processor. I have had zero problems on this system doing anything else ever, not once.

So is Zwift going to fix this really old and very bad bug or is it time for a Zwift replacement to take its place, as this is unacceptable.

Did you look at the Windows crash logs?

Only Zwift ever locks up or quits. Windows has never crashed.

So Iā€™ve been trying different things each time I do a ride and I believe I found a reason for the crashing and freezing issues.

If I start Zwift, sign on, go to the main screen, then return to Windows and close the Zwift Launcher it didnā€™t freeze or crash at all in the last 2 rides (one an hour and another 2 hours). It was freezing 10 times an hour before and crashing about once every half hour, so while I canā€™t say this absolutely resolves the problems, I havenā€™t had a ride not freeze or crash on me this fall, so 2 in a row without a problem is more than unusual.

Doing more testing to verify further.

good work. Which launcher you using, 1.1.4 or the new 1.1.5? If on 1.1.4 you can grab the installer from the zwift website and it will only update the launcher when the other files are already installed.
Might not help but its worth a look.

I guess the ā€œupdateā€ in Zwift doesnā€™t update the launcher? Thatā€™s super intuitive, and awesome. So I manually updated the launcher from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5. Because ā€œupdateā€ doesnā€™t actually update, obviously.

Iā€™ll try a ride tomorrow while still running the launcher and see what happens.

Launcher doesnā€™t affect the game, remember.

1 Like

Yet it seems like it does. Letā€™s say every 5 minutes the launcher checks for a new software release. It also checks to see if Zwift is running (as it canā€™t update if Zwift is running). During that handshake, something may happen in the Zwift app causing it to freeze or crash.

Basically, Iā€™ve tried something different for each ride for the last couple months. Before yesterday, EVERY ride would freeze several times or crash entirely. After I closed the launcher, itā€™s worked without a hitch for 3 hours of riding.

So while at first it would seem theyā€™re not related, itā€™s likely thereā€™s communication between the two apps, and in my experience, the launcher (at least v1.1.4) is causing Zwift to freeze or totally crash.