Zwift Academy Run 2020 FAQ

When does the Zwift Academy Run start and finish?
The Qualifying period begins on October 15, 2020, 12:01am PST and ends on December 9th 2020, 11:59pm PST.

ZA Run Finals will be held in early-2021. More details to follow.

What do I need to do to graduate Zwift Academy?
To graduate the Academy, complete the program’s 8 structured workouts and 2 additional events (5k group run or 5k race). All requirements need to be completed between October 15th and December 9th.

You’ll find the workouts in a folder called ‘Zwift Academy Run 2020’ on your workout menu screen. Group runs and races must specifically be designated ‘Zwift Academy Run’ to count towards your graduation.

Should I take a 5k test before starting the Academy?
We recommend that you start the Academy with accurate Zwift paces to ensure the best results from your structured training. We recommend that you try the Zwift 5k Test as this will determine your prescribed workout efforts in-game. Make sure you are rested before completing the tests for best results.
Pro tip: make sure you are well-rested before completing this test for best results.

What is the last day to sign up?
Registration for the Academy closes on November 8, 2020, by 11:59pm PST.

How do I unlock rewards in the Academy?
You will automatically unlock rewards as you progress through the Academy. At the milestones: 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%, you’ll receive notification of your reward. With 10 total events (8 workouts, 2 group runs or races), you’ll unlock a reward after you complete 2, 5, 7 and 10 events in any combination.

What if I go on holiday during Zwift Academy?
All sessions must be completed by December 9th, 2020, 11:59pm PST. If you have a holiday booked then you will need to structure your training in order to complete the sessions before the deadline date. We recommend that you leave at least 48 hours between each session and aim to complete two sessions a week. Also, have a great holiday, and take pictures to make everyone jealous.

Sessions
When do I have to complete the qualifying events?
All events must be completed by December 9th, 2020, 11:59pm PST. The workouts can be completed at any time during the day on your own or you can choose to join group workouts.

There will be a full schedule of group runs, group workouts and races that you can choose from. We recommend that you leave at least 48 hours between each workout or race and aim to complete two events/week.

In what order should the workouts be completed?
The workouts can be completed in any order but we recommend you follow the order as prescribed by the coaches for optimal progression. This is the order that the workouts are listed within Zwift and can be found at zwift.com/academy.

Can I do both group workouts and individual workouts?
Yes. The workouts will be available at your convenience to do individually from the workout menu, or by joining a scheduled Zwift Academy group workout.

Can I do a Zwift Academy Tri run and count it towards my total?
No. If you are registered for Zwift Academy Run, you will only receive credit for group workouts, group runs and races associated with that particular Academy to get credit. The events will be clearly distinguishable.

Can I repeat a workout or race?
Yes, the workouts or races can be repeated until the closing date of December 9th, 2020, although each workout will only count once toward your completion total of completing all 8 running workouts and 2 races or group runs. Your best results from each of the completed Zwift sessions will be used in the analysis.

What happens if I’m ill, injured or have racing commitments?
You need to take a sensible approach with the sessions if you are ill or injured. The first important rule is don’t worry if you need to take a training break! You will not lose your fitness and conditioning by having a few days off. The second rule is don’t try to overcompensate and make up for the missed sessions.
When you are back to running, stick to your session structure and don’t try to make up the extra time you were in recovery. By doing so, you will likely over-fatigue yourself, and you won’t be able to hit the upcoming sessions at the desired intensity. Certain sessions will need you to take an easy 48 hours beforehand. We will advise you of these in advance so you can factor them into your existing training/racing.

What if I already have a training plan/coach?
The workouts have been specifically designed for Zwift Academy Run to inspire and motivate you as a runner. The 8 workouts can be incorporated into your usual training plan. Certain workouts will need you to take an easy 48 hours beforehand. We will advise you of these in advance so you can factor them into your existing training/racing.

What percentage of a workout do I need to complete to get credit? Do I have to get all the stars?
You must complete 75% of a Zwift Academy workout to receive credit towards graduation. While you should aim to get as many stars as possible, these do not factor into completion credit.

Can I skip blocks of a workout?
You can only skip up to 25% of a workout to receive credit towards completion of that workout.

What races qualify for Zwift Academy Run credit?
There will be specific Zwift Academy Run designated races. They will be clearly marked as such. As soon as the schedule is available, we’ll email it out as well as make the schedule available on zwift.com/academy.

Team Eligibility
When will Zwift choose the finalists for the Zwift Academy Run Team?
Team selection will run from program complete on December 9, 2020 until team announcement on or around March 1, 2021. Selected team members will be notified and asked to complete a comprehensive application for further screening.

What will I need to do to ensure my runs qualify me for the Zwift Academy Run team?
Athletes must connect to a heart rate monitor and a device that tracks cadence (for 5k races only). Both of these are required in order to be considered for the Zwift Academy Run Team.

When will the final team be announced?
We plan to announce the team on or around March 1, 2021.

Are there any restrictions?
We’re inviting runners from all age groups (18+) to apply. All we ask is that applicants should be ready and willing to take on the challenge of qualifying for and racing at the 2021 Berlin Marathon in Berlin, Germany.

How many athletes will be selected for the 2020 team?
We plan to select six athletes (3 males & 3 females) for the Zwift Academy Run Team.

What are the benefits of joining this team?
Short answer: gear, guidance, and an incredible marathon experience unlike any other. Longer answer: Zwift Academy Run Team members will train like pros. They’ll enjoy benefits that money can’t buy like a physiological testing session in the adidas HQ and coaching from world class coaches Terrence Mahon and Jen Rhines.
There are also quite a few benefits that money can buy but add up quickly. We’re talking the complete pro package including a Woodway treadmill, head to toe adidas clothing and shoes, Maurten hydration and gel products, Oakley Sunglasses and Garmin watches. Not to mention an all-expenses-paid trip to Berlin as well as a pro-level training camp during the season.

I already have sponsors of my own. Can I continue to represent them?
No. During your time as a Zwift Academy Run Team member, you must only represent Zwift and the team partners.

Can I continue working with my current coach?
While we understand athletes may already have a coach, we advise selected team members take full advantage of the opportunity to train under 3x Olympian Jen Rhines and decorated coach Terrence Mahon.

I have never raced a marathon, can I still apply?
You bet! If you feel you have a background that suggests you can excel at the sport, we’re excited to see what you have.

Tech Questions
I am having problems with my Zwift setup, where should I go for help?
Not to worry! We have a dedicated support crew. For any issues, please create a ticket here .

How to get started on Zwift Running?
Whether at home or at the gym, getting up and running is simple. All you need is a treadmill, Zwift RunPod or other compatible footpods, and a device to run Zwift. And if you have access to a supported Bluetooth treadmill, you don’t even need a footpod. If you’re hoping to get up and running soon, watch here:

What is the Zwift RunPod?
The Zwift RunPod is your key to unlocking Zwift Run and making serious indoor training fun. The RunPod tracks both speed and cadence, relaying your stats to Zwift. This allows you to run on any treadmill, any time.

What is the NPE Runn?
The NPE Runn ups the Zwift experience without the need for a fancy bluetooth treadmill. By tracking the treadmill’s belt speed, the NPE Runn allows for more accurate training.

See you on the road!

Regarding Team eligibility, how are you identifying the Zwifters who are interested? Or are you looking at all people who completed the ZA?

Thanks!

/K

@K_aribou_SZR_ZLDR_No

We are looking for graduates of all ability levels with interesting stories that involve running, Zwift, and what the marathon distance means to them.

2 Likes

Shiji Hi! This statement at the FAQ section makes me doubt about team eligibility:

Does it mean that members willing to enter must achieve qualifying times for the event? For previous editions for example they where:

Male Runners : Age 18 to 44: under 2:45 hours . Male Runners Age 45 to 59: under 2:55 hours. Male Runners Age 60 and up: under 3:25 hours.

Female Runners : Age 18 to 44: under 3:00 hours. Female Runners Age 45 to 59 : under 3:20 hours. Female Runners Age 60 and up : under 4:10 hours.

@Sebastian_Montes

This is the first time we’ve held a Zwift Academy Run, so don’t expect a cut & paste of previous versions of ZA Tri or ZA Ride.

We are looking for runners with a range of experience levels and performance abilities, but all aiming for a personal best at the Berlin Marathon

This includes someone who’s never run a marathon yet, to someone who’s already achieved a sub-2:45.

2 Likes

Hi, I can’t enroll in run academy. I have done a 5k workout pacing efforts. I don’t see my progress on my run academy account or on zwift startup.

Hello @Jordi_Riu_Popito

Hate to deliver the news that the enrollment deadline for the inaugural Zwift Acadmy Run ended on November 8 2020.

To be considered do you need to complete two 5k races? Or just as long as you complete the required workouts and either
a) two runs
b) two races
c) one run and one race

Just want to be sure if I need to complete a race, or two, before the end of the academy window.

Thanks

thanks shuji.

Yes, for me it is a failure and a very early date. I was late but I did the run academy before December 9. No prizes or gifts.Posted on strava. Also I have the Road and Tri academy done on the dates.

Hi @shooj

It doesn’t finish dec 9th midnight??

I would like to race 5K to replace one Run Group

Hello @CarlosEcheverry welcome to Zwift forums

Yes, Zwift Academy Run ends December 9th 2020, 11:59pm (UTC -8). That’s ~11 hours from now. Go get that 5k!

Hi @shooj
Was just wondering - has the shortlist for the ZA Run been released yet - there was mention of early 2021?

Thanks!

@_Andy_ZSUNR_DRACO
We have not announced the finalists yet. When I hear the news, I will update this thread!

4 Likes

The ‘shortlist’ was released and those on it were sent emails to submit additional information by 1/29.

OK, Not that i really believed i Had a Chance but now i know it. Thanks for the Info. I will now create my normal Training Plan :wink:

Has there been any update on when finalists will be announced Shuji?

Finalists will be contacted this week @Kieran_Woodward

It will take a bit longer for us to introduce those finalists to the world. :earth_africa:

Thank you. I had an email this morning. :sob: