Workout Refresh [October 2023]

You can subscribe to a plan under the plans tab, but I don’t see a way to browse the plan workouts and select a specific workout from there, where you used to be able to select them from a sub-folder.

I’m on iPad so can’t just import a zipped workout folder, but luckily for me the workouts I care most about are still there.

One thing that is odd to me is what is missing from the “Threshold” workout categories. I see the 2x15min, the 2x20min, and the 2x30min at threshold in the "workouts under ‘x’mins’ folder but none of those basic threshold workouts are in the actual threshold pivot.

I wonder why the 2x15min, 2x20min etc. threshold workouts would not show up in the ‘threshold’ workouts pivot. Seems odd to me.

Yup, same applies to me, my only windows pc is a company one, I’m not able (or allowed) to install software on that machine. So, I’m not able to export any workout to a custom folder. I only Zwift on ATV.

I personally believe the wrong solution was chosen for a problem which actually was caused by a lack of filters

4 Likes

I didn’t like the changes. with time I think I will get used to them. what I didn’t like at all and is completely wrong, is that the exercises are in alphabetical order and not in the order they should be done. this is something that needs to be fixed.

3 Likes

Is there any indication of how to get the files in that Zip file if you go to the workouts section in the app for anyone who doesn’t come on here

Really not impressed with this - I’m currently pregnant and so the Baby On Board collection was a great way for me to find safe workouts I could complete with minimum hassle. I use a tablet so restoring the legacy workout collection isn’t really an option. Please restore these collections, even if they’re displayed in a different way!

6 Likes

Your legacy download contains .xml files instead of .zwo files e.g. in the 10-12 week ftp builder folder (among others). Did you check the contents prior to posting? Thx.

1 Like

ZWO format is XML, isn’t it?

Thank you for the heads up @Gabriel_P. The legacy workouts in .xml format can be dropped into your Documents/Zwift/Workouts/numerical ID folder just as .zwo files. Apologies for the confusion.

There appear to be missing workouts - Power Intervals #2 is gone.

Additionally, is there any way to import those xml files on iPad, since I only have Zwift installed there. Heck, you even have iPads running Zwift in your own TV ads.

And why dismantle the entire concept of workout collections? This new grouping should have been an additional search+filter on top of collections. Talk to your users before making brave decisions.

1 Like

What a terrible change! And I cannot believe that you called it “exciting changes”.
What should I do if I don’t have PC or Mac? You should call back the popular training plan right now.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but this is awful. What was the reason for removing all of the structured plans? Is this another attempt by Zwift at forcing users toward the “social” aspect of the game (races, events, etc) and away from structured training?

Like many people in the northern hemisphere, I use Zwift for base training during the winter when it’s too cold and dark to train outside. I just want to pick a multi-week plan and follow it. I don’t care about racing and I rarely participate in group rides. Existing users shouldn’t have to mess around with downloading the archived workouts (which apparently don’t even appear in sequential order once added to the custom folder… honestly guys, this is an amateur mistake… :roll_eyes:)

I’ve been an enthusiastic Zwift user for several years and was just about to reactivate my membership for the start of the fall/winter season, but I’m putting that decision on hold and seriously considering exploring other indoor training options this year.

7 Likes

Completely agree with this. Zwift could have kept the original structured plan folders and tagged individual workouts as “recovery”, “sweet spot”, etc. and allowed users to add “favourite” tags. The issue here is a lack of proper tags and a filtering search function.

1 Like

hola buenos días; ayer despues de una lesion intente entrar en la app zwift en mi tablet samsung s5e, que es relativamente nueva, y me dijo que no se podia acceder porque no es compatible la tablet con el programa. Que puedo hacer? no tendre que comprarme otra tablet para poder usar el zwift y menos despues de lo que cuesta al mes¡¡¡¡
por favor decirme algo.
muchas gracias.

I think I found a solution for tablets - apparently, I am now able to enroll in a plan (in the plans tab) and select any random workout from there - no more fixed schedule and greyed workouts.
That solves my immediate problem (yay!), and if that is intentional, partially merits the reorg of workouts.

However:

• i am not sure this works for everyone, or even for a different plan than the one I enrolled in. Im not risking unenrolling from my current one to check
  • this does not explain the disappearance of workouts from the workouts tab
  • was this even communicated?
  • the fact that opening the training plans was the absolutely last thing I tried should be telling in itself
1 Like

You can still access the plans from the workouts menu - If you go to the “Workouts Collection” screen, then select “Plans” from the left bar you can still see and enroll in a training plan. I presume that “should” give you what you’re looking for. At that point you should be able to do the workouts whenever you want.

What you can’t do is browse the main menu or “all workouts” for those workout plan workouts a la carte like you used to be able to.

I’m not sure why they didn’t just have another “Collection” for workout plans, and put all those workouts in there for a la carte browsing.

That’s not what I’m talking about; I’m referring to all of the structured workout plans that have been removed, like the GCN or l’Etape du Tour plans.

Yes, the structured plans that you have to enroll in, and which suffer from all kinds of flexibility issues that have been griped about for years on this forum, are still there. And I’m still not going to enroll in those plans because I’m human and have a life and a job and don’t want to get kicked out because I decide to take a few days off for any normal reason. :laughing:

This is the problem – I want to be able to do the structured workouts which have been removed, like the GCN or Etape du Tour plans, but on my own time, as I did before. And I don’t want to waste hours of my time trying to recreate the sequential ordering of the workouts because whoever created the zip file didn’t bother to index the workouts properly first.

2 Likes

They made changes to the way the structured plans work so you no longer need to do them in a rigid way as before. So now you can do them on your own time and continue on with the plan, you should not get kicked out of it if you miss a day etc…

1 Like

Well, I guess that’s progress, but it doesn’t matter since they are still not the workout plans that I and many other users in this thread used to do and enjoy before and have been removed…

1 Like

Yeah, for sure, that’s absolutely a fair point. I am not sure why they didn’t include a collection for all those plans, it would just be one collection entry point that would go to a screen with all these plans, so it wouldn’t clutter up the UX much at all, and people could still complete the set they were working on etc.

Edit: I know there’s a workaround for folks on PC and Mac, but not everyone is comfortable copying files around and some folks do not have a PC/Mac that can run Zwift, so the folder copy workaround isn’t universally available to everyone.

1 Like

I’ve got to say this is good.

The workouts were hugely duplicated and not organized well at all.

The training plans aren’t great compared to other stuff out there.

My personal complaint is more about the home screen & workouts - my custom workout linked automatically from Training Peaks doesn’t seem to be showing up on the first line “For You” any longer.

I like where it shows on the workout page, and this is a very minor complaint.

1 Like