What affects Avatar speed in Zwift?

What goes into determining your avatar speed in Zwift? My setup is my mountain bike in a classic trainer. I’m using the Garmin Bike Speed 2 and Cadence 2 sensors and running zwift on my iPhone XR with iOS 13.3. My weight is my actual weight of 284lbs. When I’ve been cycling, I’m pedaling like crazy but my avatar isn’t moving that quick and others are flying by me. If the issue is my weight, should I drop it or leave it and let it automatically update when I use my Fitbit Aria 2 to weigh myself to see my progress?

Basically:
Watts, the weight entered, height entered, in-game bike used, in-game drafting (Tri and TT bikes get no drafting boost), in-game wheel set, in-game road surface, and in-game virtual elevation changes your in-game speed is determined.

Do you have a trainer tire on your MTB, you may be loosing grip if you use MTB tires.

Also MTB’s has different gearing than road bikes, a road bike on Zwift will be faster than a MTB same as in real life.

1 Like

Since you mention using speed and cadence sensors I assume you are on a non-smart trainer. So Zwift calculates your in game speed based on the speed sensor data, your wheel size, zPower based on your trainer, and in game gradient (on top of your weight, etc). When you set everything up did you select the correct wheel size for your mountain bike? You can also try pairing your speed sensor to your head unit (if you have one) and see what data it is transmitting. That won’t give a 100% correct answer since your head unit doesn’t know the gradient but if you find a flat course (Tempus Fugit) it should give you a ball park.

OK, I guess I need to post the entire thing:

Zwift takes the wheel speed broadcast by your speed sensor and the power curve of the trainer you select on the Pairing Screen and converts that to virtual watts. With those watts, the weight entered, height entered, in-game bike used, in-game drafting (Tri and TT bikes get no drafting boost), in-game wheel set, in-game road surface, and in-game virtual elevation changes your in-game speed is determined.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the info.