We need more tracks for people that just walk or powerwalk

I am 54 and because of my spine my physician told me that I shouldnt do jogging.
But I can walk and I also do karate and workout, and to strenthen my legs I use a simple treadmill set to 8% (!) elevation. Actually I walk on it at around 5km/h only. I do adjust this bit slower or faster.

Thats why I want to suggest that you might add some walking trainings for elderly people like me.
I dont need to run actually, maybe some walks at a constant speed between 4.5 - 5.5km/h would be enough.

I also found it difficult to calibrate the ZWIFT Pod. Slow speed of 4.9 km/h was easy, even medium at 6.4 km/h was ok, but I really had difficulties to stay 40sec at 7.9km/h!

Yesterday I just walekd in Insbruck the 2.8km distance in 32 minutes. That was a really good one as I can do this in just half an hour.
So please add more shorter tracks that people like me can just walk in 30 minutes upwards.

Also maybe add ā€œGroup walksā€ or competitions for people that just walk.
And maybe in the future with enhanced graphics we also can enjoy the landscape moreā€¦

This request gets my vote. I am new to zwift, it took me a year to finally create an account, but I certainly agree with you 200%. Everyone is not able to jog/run and having ā€œwalking trainingsā€ would definetly move me.

Zwift please add some walking trainings or at least modify your technology to accept lower speeds so that the avatar will move. That is the reason why I have not moved forward with zwift offerings.

8 Likes

I agree with you. I am limitted to walking and cycling myself so I will be looking for walking partners. Feel free to add me if you need a walking buddy!

4 Likes

You can walk any of the routes on Zwift. You can also select to run with somebody which will teleport you to wherever they are on a course so again youā€™ll get different scenery.

1 Like

I agree, and I would also like to nominate more running for beginners / slow runners content! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Group walks or walking events would be great too! Sometimes I really just want to walk!!

2 Likes

I would be totally for this as well. I just started walking on the running side of Zwift a couple hours ago. I didnā€™t have any footpods or a smart treadmill so I got an app that transmits a speed to Zwift and I match it on my treadmill. Plus if there is any inclines I match those as well on the treadmill. I am about 60 lbs overweight and rather short in stature so running is pretty hard for me. Iā€™ve always been horrible at running anyway even at my peak fitness level when I was not overweight. 4 mph and I am at 70% of my capacity. 5 mph and I am almost at a sprint. Having short legs suck.

3 Likes

Voting here too, I plan to also use Zwift for mostly walking. Maybe one day Iā€™ll be in better shape to run but right now itā€™s walking and maybe brief jogging.

Some ā€œNatureā€ tracks would be really cool for walkers, nice scenery/forests/wildlife.

I just got an NPE Runn and it supports slower speeds. From what Iā€™ve read some of the other tech (food pods for example) might not do well with low speeds, but there is an app that someone mentioned, I havenā€™t tried it and there is probably more than this one but in case someone is looking for an app to transmit your speed to Swift (so that you donā€™t need foot pods or anything) here is one Iā€™ve heard about - Google ā€œtreadmill-speed-transmitterā€

Would be nice though if Swift had a feature built-in where you can do this.

2 Likes

I would like to pick up and support this subject as well. I do a mix of walking and running, trying to delay the problems connected to my Parkinson disease. Separate trails or groups for older or handicapped users running slow or walking would be highly appreciated.
Perhaps the calibration routine could be adapted to slightly lower speeds as well.
Dieter

2 Likes

Chiming in here in favor of walking routes. Did my first walk today on the treadmill I got for Christmas. I enjoyed it, but would like it more if it was tailored more to that experience.

Just curious (always happy to see more routes) - - what do you have in mind for a route to be a walking-specific route? What are you envisioning would be different from the running routes?

As a walker or slow jogger I would appreciate not having to share the route with bicycles. Reminds me too much of the ā€˜good old daysā€™ ā€¦
I feel, being in a group of people with similar goals is more motivating.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. I thought that people were talking about getting walking routes that were different from running routes, and I didnā€™t understand what that difference would be. Iā€™ve only just started doing some running on the platform, and the separated running/walking routes are indeed much nicer.

Might it be a technically viable option for Zwift to allow walkers/runner to ā€œmake cyclists invisibleā€ ?

2 Likes

One could start a ā€œwalkingā€ club, create events and not see anyone else other than those who join the eventā€¦ Meetups is another option too.

They could just do whatever it is that happens to car drivers. That would make cyclists invisible. :confused:

2 Likes

They could also just do the start-disconnect from internet-do activity-reconnect to internet-save activity process. That would make everyone else (not just cyclists) disappear, but it seems like an option.

Followed many of you on companion, follow me if you are interested in walking meetups. They can be set up to eliminate the bikes and several different starting points. Best to communicate through fb messenger or telegram to coordinate.

1 Like

Did you ever find a walking buddy are you still using treadmill on zwift ?

No I didnā€™t find anyone here. I am atill walking though! Wanna walk with me?