Wahoo Kickr bike draft+downhill issue

Has anyone noticed issues drafting in the group or struggling in the descent since some weeks? Did some tests at differents w/kg and during some races. Get dropped in downhill, after I hit the brake to make wahoo bike supertucking speed decreased instead of increasing , even with people in front that gave draft. Everything updated …

Since weeks, no months Zwift has been screwing me while using the Wahoo Kickr bike.
The Group Dynamics have never been worse. Its an absolute disaster. You always get pushed aside. Your avatar behaves like a dummy and only rides on the left or right side of the pack. It avoids any chance of slipstream. Riding in a breakaway is totally impossible because the avatar does not use the slipstream when your fellow escapees pass you. In a big pack the only time my avatar moves into the center of the pack is if i fall way to the back and almost lose contact. When Downhilling and going into super tuck you get dropped. And since the newest update the app crashes in rides. Draft seems to be completely broken. And may many more. I have reported everything 100+ times and no one cares. I am now looking for alternatives because i am not dealing with this BS anymore. Zwift shame on you.

1 Like

Ok at least I’m not alone… I thought I was crazy

it’s prolly part of the draft 3.0 changes.
they gotta find some way to slow down pack speeds a bit.
from what i’ve seen, if it’s a small group, the riders tend to spread out wide rather than single file now.
so u need a larger group (like 10+ riders) to get the full draft benefit.

tbh supertucking has always resulted in getting dropped if the rest of the group is still rolling, you gotta be real careful of being spat out the back with 3.0 mechanics and start nailing it b4 u reach the back in order to stay on.

if u get dropped from a group at any part on a descent, ur at destination F’d.

it’s prolly even worse for lightweight riders (<60kg) but hey they get a big advantage on hills so meh :smiley:

3 Likes

Not sure if that „trick“ helps. Was having the same experience of being “kicked” out of the draft to the left all the time, in the peloton and at the breakaways, having zero draft.
Quite frustrating.
Disabled steering at the startup login screen when zwift connects to your wahoo bike. Since then I believe it’s better…

1 Like

Will try thank you

In free rides my steering buttons hardly ever work and I often get thrown over to the left.

I have had no problems in races until my most recent one. I was doing a lap of tick rock and half way through I noticed for some reason steering was enabled so I started to play with the buttons to try to draft better.
With about 4km to go I got spat out to the left and sat on my own, looking at the watts I still seemed to be getting the effect of the draft, however my avatar would not come back over to the right and I eventually got dropped (probably more to do with my mindset than the physics of the draft).

I will make sure steering is disabled before every event in the future as I don’t use it anyway

2 Likes

People have moved from pairing with BLE to ANT+ to avoid the steering/positioning bug with Kickr bikes.

With BLE, disabling steering even with BLE doesn’t [always] work either.

Hey @Mark_Crane_TOG_G_65y fairly sure you are one of them that has gone to ANT+ on your Kickr bike - can you comment?

1 Like

Certainly. ANT+ works seamlessly on my Kickr bike. Pairs up right away and no dropouts. The only problem is there seems to be a lag between power at the pedals and power in Zwift. Same thing with load from Zwift, especially in workouts. About one second.

So I’ve been using BLE but I don’t put on my HRM strap until the bike is fully paired and I can disable steering on the pairing screen. Then I go to the main menu and pair up the HRM. Seems to work okay. I’ve been planning on trying the ANT+ again zoon. Maybe tomorrow…

2 Likes

My kickr bike is also connected via ant+. Didn’t notice any changes to the time before the new dynamics pack. Draft is working fine, even if I also noticed that draft seems to have less effect when you are at the very back, just about to being dropped.

1 Like

Using Ant+ is the way to go for the Kickr Bike but you will still be put on the outer edges of the draft. This is a known issue and supposedly a fix was sent out in one of the updates several months ago, but it doesn’t appear to have helped. It is definitely a software issue on how the bike talks to the Zwift program. Look on the bright side if you can ride and be competitive in races with the bug when they get it fixed you will be unstoppable if they ever fix it. I always try to ride on the rear of the pack or just behind the front rider in a breakaway. Also, it takes forever to go into supertuck for me as well. I have found grabbing both brakes to stop the flywheel will sometimes help but not every time. So many quirks for a $3500 unit.

3 Likes

I have also noticed that my avatar drifting to the left but assumed that I still get the draft benefit from the riders in front?

1 Like

Not just kickr bike. My 2016 wahoo exhibits the same “feature” since updates back in January… No drafting in a group ride down hill and have go go will above FTP to stay with bunch on the decent… But Zwift refuses to acknowledge its an issue or address

1 Like

I have tried it all; switched to Ant+, which seems to solve the positioning at lower speeds, but as soon as the pace picks up and everyone is doing more than 3.5w/kg, my avatar constantly sticks on the left or right side of the pack.
No matter what option I use, my avatar never moves up through the group as many other avatars do; no, it’s always on the left or right side, causing me to use more power. It’s the same with falling back, always on the left or right side.
I hardly ever can enjoy some ones slipstream , I have to work harder to even stay with a group, and since the newest update of this week, I don’t get any slipstream at all anymore. I was riding TOW Stage 2 and had to do 1-2w/kg more to even stay with the group.
I tried it twice, and the app crashed every time 10mins into the ride. Since almost launch day, I have been on Zwift, so I know how it works, and this is BS. Zwift, you should be ashamed of yourself.
PS. The experience can’t be worse. It’s just frustrating and made me start using other options.

2 Likes

Same issue - takes too long to get into supertuck and sometimes it does not happen at all, and I get dropped unceremoniously. Being pushed aside is also something that happens to me, it seems all those who have steering (even when disabled in a race) suffer this.

1 Like

Same issue with Kickr18 and downhills! Tried to supertuck at a descent of ToW but it seems like my avatar was pushing the brakes constantly and even gets to a halt while coasting downhill. Almost instantly got dropped and spit out the back of the group.

Switched from Ant+ to Bluetooth due to the constant dropouts recently but now encountering other issues.

This is not right!

1 Like

It’s gone on for far too long disabling steering via BLE doesn’t solve the issue certain worlds are worse than others. I don’t have the option of ANT + as a light rider it can destroy a race or group ride. Yesterday I joined Cadence on Tick Tock after turning towards tunnel my Avatar moved hard right on the screen and speed slowed to 32kmph clearly not in the draft I had to up watts to 5 w/kg for several seconds to get back with the pack. Always hopeful that this will be fixed with the numerous updates we have received since the issue first appeared but it always seems to be missed.

1 Like

Hope this will be solved before ZRL season 3. if not I will not race. It’s awful…

@zwift any news on this topic?

I canceled my membership because I don’t need this BS. I was a member since mid-2016 without any interruption. Racing and Group Rides aren’t fun anymore; they are overwhelmingly frustrating and annoying due to the useless and nonsense Group Dynamics. Don’t expect anything from Zwift; they don’t care, or they would have fixed it a long time ago. As long as you pay, they are happy.

1 Like

Try grabbing the brakes on the Kickr bike this will help going into supertuck. You can also try grabbing the brakes and up shifting going into a higher gear which will stop the flywheel even faster.