Tour de Zwift Stage 1 glitchy?

Ok … I‘ll give it a 3rd try. On Monday I rode TDZ Greater London … disaster… after 40min I reboot my system … all data was gone . On Tuesday same issue … TDZ Greater London … but this time I pulled the plug after 10min. No data found. Today Wednesday it will be my last attempt for this kind of group rides. I can‘t find the issue on my side. Good luck for today…

Looks like zwift have "solved the issue by adding extra events. They are hourly now. E.g. 5pm GMT ride was already scheduled - 3500 entrants so far, now there is a 6pm ride with just 200 signed up.

3 Likes

I’ve given up on the tour.

I’ve completed two group Stage 1 rides (Jan 5th and Jan 6th) and both times it crashed just after the finish line. Zwift doesn’t acknowledge either as a Tour De Zwift ride when I log back in, just that it didn’t save before and do I want to continue where I was. I’m not going to attempt it a third time and I may cancel my subscription if Zwift can’t QA their apps properly when there’s a highly promoted event about to begin. The rest of the Zwift world and workouts work as intended.

For the record, I’m using an iPad Air running iOS 12.5. Nothing else running in the background. I’m using the latest Zwift app as well (1.0.60639).

1 Like

I had exactly the same issue as others with choppy video and non existent frame rate. I was in a group of over 11000 riders, I quit after 29 minutes of riding, the in game timer only showed 16mins. I was looking forward to the Tour but I’ve given up on it after that ride

I totally understand your frustration but I suggest trying another ride with less participants (not a solution but if you can make other events it gives you your pleasure of a good ride). I use zwifthacks dot com / app / events to search events (although I did not need to for TdZ but it shows ~ number of entries)

The point was that the only difference is hardware showing that lower spec hardware does struggle with big groups. But that was no surprise to me, we don’t use that PC for big group rides. But I wanted to see to what points can we push that pc. That PC is due for a GPU upgrade.

This is a 1000 rider TDZ ride.

I don’t think Zwift said it was their fault, they said they will make adjustments. An I think Adjustments is things like splitting groups and only showing individual categories.

1 Like

Did the stage at 07:00 this morning and no issues, although a lot less riders than last night.
Also noticed a patch update whilst logging in this morning. Maybe this might be the adjustments that Zwift are talking about.
Cheers.

Lets see… “fault”: had they made the necessary adjustments beforehand, none of this would have happened. Agree?

They didn’t.

They knew (or should have known…) that high-rider-count event is going to be problematic in relation to such adjustments.

They didn’t - or ignored it.

This to me is the meaning of “at fault”.

1 Like

What device are you running Zwift on. I am not aware of a update.

There was an update overnight. Just no post from Zwift about it.

Gerrie, there are reports, that in the first stage with the 11k riders, one Zwifter with an ATV had problems and another Zwifter with an ATV had no problems. I donˋt think the AppleTV is the bottleneck.
As far as I know, Zwift is hosted on AWS Server, but exclusively in North America. Maybe it would improve the situation, if Zwift would run server in Europe?

1 Like

It’s not. Just a small patch as follows: “Fixed a bug that would cause some users to crash in the pairing screen when other Bluetooth devices were nearby.”

Per this link there seems to be updates today (entered that way because this forum is not permitting me to post a link)
forums. zwift. com
/t/what-are-the-latest-zwift-game-and-zwift-companion-app-version-numbers/486839

looks like Mac, Apple TV and iOS only

1 Like

tvOS (Apple TV) too.

1 Like

Thanks @Mike_Rowe1

O yes that patch for the blue tooth.

Hi Gerrie,

I am running Zwift on a Macbook. The update of the 28th Dec was already installed so it was not that one.

Cheers, Andy.

The issue (aka “feature”) was not exclusive to Europe. I am in the Boston area and had the fun happen on the first ride but have done the A and B rides since with no issue.

No post from Zwift for anyone to notice though, just an edit of the latest version numbers. Not exactly an easy thing to notice. Not even the sub-par edit of the last update post like we’re used to - again, not something easy to notice without at least a reply from Zwift to that post.

But then we know that communication isn’t Zwift’s strong point.

3 Likes

Absolutely. It’s just jaw-dropping to me that after all the problems with the latest rounds of updates they would post another version with no obvious announcement in the forum. It should be standard practice to post the update and at the same time start a new pinned thread with the date and update number in the thread title, explain inside what it was fixing, and asking for people to post problems.

It’s not just that communication is so bad, it’s that it gets called out constantly, they (sometimes) belatedly apologize, but then persist with the silent treatment. It would require so little effort to improve and show they understand we are paying customers who deserve better.

8 Likes