Tour de Zwift Stage 1 glitchy?

I rode stage 1 this morning and had a great zwift experience minus a complete lack of power in my legs. My computer handled the crowds with no issues thankfully. Only 1500 in our field though, a far cry from the 10k fields most of the issues are coming from.

1 Like

Iā€™m ā€œridingā€ in the 17:00 GMT 6th Jan ride now and its appalling. The last big ride I did like this was Haute Route last year and I thought Iā€™d give Zwift the benefit of the doubt as lockdown was new and they probably didnā€™t expect the volume of users.
Here we are, a year later and they still havenā€™t coughed up for decent infrastructure. How many users have paid their subscription in the last 12 months? Must be thousands!

Todayā€™s experience- itā€™s 5.23 pm Iā€™ve therefore been riding for 23 mins, and my game clock says 6:02 mins
There are 2367 users attempting this particular TdZ Stage 1 event

I rode at 21:00 last night, Category B Standard Ride (7p eastern time US). No issues at all.
Regular good Zwift experience for me. There were 1,000+ signed up, but only 834 actually in the pens at the start (400+ reported on ZwiftPower).

No detailed results on ZwiftPower yet. Just the summary results without 1,5,20 power numbers for example.

Iā€™m sorry to hear about the others with a poor experience.

I rode today at 11.00 cet, 3rd attempt, no problem at all, managed to finished TDZ stage 1ā€‹:+1::+1::+1::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

Just given up on the 6pm ride - only 1100 in the event but Zwift decides to show all other riders on the London course! <1 fps. Have ridden events with 1000ā€™s in before with no issue beyond the first couple of minutes lag. This TdZ is next level shambles.

2 Likes

Interesting. I had a really good ride on the London 6pm (GMT) and finished at the third attempt. As above, one of those failures was my battery and nothing to do with these issues. The only strangeness I saw was two occasions when the entire bunch I was riding with vanished, leaving me riding alone. The first time I thought Iā€™d taken a wrong turning or something. However, they were back in a second or two. Thatā€™s far preferable to everything slowing down, if itā€™s a new way of dealing with load issues. Otherwise, really good ride. Hopefully, Iā€™ve finally earned the jersey :slight_smile:

Some riders were still in the jersey after the finish. I donā€™t know if some people are doing the events twice, and so wearing the jersey by right throughout. No reason why they shouldnā€™t, of course.

Edit: no jersey yet. I hope theyā€™ve made enough to go round :slight_smile:

Gerrie,

Could we stop pretending that there is no issue zwift vm side, please?
I enter rides with hundreds of riders and it works flawlessly (no rendering issues). Yet, the big events (over 1000s riders) are inevitably bad for me. Tonight I saw riders cutting corners and riding through buildings. I was given about 15f/min tonight. Zwift need to look at the AWS utilization stats and stop pretending thereā€™s no issue.

5 Likes

Iā€™m going to ride the Stage 1 Long Event tomorrow morning at 5am PST and see how it goes. Iā€™ve got a dedicated Dell workstation desktop with an Intel I7-6700 CPU and a Nvidia GPX1060TI GPU connected to the internet with AT&T fiber with 1gb up and down. Thatā€™s probably about as optimized as possible especially being in California fairly close to the servers that run Zwift. Film at eleven.

Due to the overwhelming interest, we have made adjustments to the future Tour de Zwift events schedule to to improve stability for all joining.

At 8am GMT this morning, we increased the number of Tour de Zwift events offered to provide TdZ participants a better experience.

We continue to receive comments on instability and we are working to reproduce and fix the issues. Once these issues have been reproduced, we will institute additional fixes to continue to improve the experience for all Zwifters.

4 Likes

Mathias, I am with you on this but it is a game of semantics going on here. This was my first big issue with Zwift in that my ride was useless and not being due to my ANT+ issues. In one reply up in this thread Gerrie responded to my ā€œShould we ignore the minimum requirements listedā€ and the answer from Gerrie was ā€œIMO yesā€. I am also assuming Gerrie is not paid by Zwift. Shuji above likely is and I have flagged them as solutions so they are well seen.

So IMO this thread will go on for some time but the problem either is Zwift (not bashing Zwift, I actually love the product) error or Zwift minimum specs being wrong. Tomato - Tomato.

2 Likes

That is why I did the two PC test. My PC #1 also run fine with up to 1000 riders. But more than that is to much to render for that PC.

What zwift should do is limit these low spec devices to small group rides.

We know pc #1 is slow so we donā€™t do big events on it.

1 Like

Or Zwift could do all the computational work (rider position, speed, etc) on their end and relay it to the users computer/phone/tablet/AppleTV and that would most likely prevent these issues. It would also solve the issue of what I see on my computer isnā€™t necessarily what you see on yours if we are in the same ride. Additionally, the winner of any race in this scenario would be the 1st person across the line since Zwiftā€™s servers are handling all the telemetry data.

But of course that requires Zwift to actually do something substantial and invest in their core product not branch out to hardware. So not holding my breath.

1 Like

I believe the fashionable approach in gaming is to move everything server-side so that the userā€™s device basically only has to be capable of the equivalent of video streaming.

1 Like

Redid Stage 1 on the 12pm EST event today ā€“ 2661 Riders.
First few minutes were quite laggy, but as group spread out things ran fineā€¦ā€¦.It just looked like a Cat 5 crit for most of ride :rofl:

I can live with rendering issues on a ride of 2.5k users considering Iā€™m using an inexpensive Apple TV.

3 Likes

Glad you were able to complete the ride. I agree that seeing the carnage was amusing if I know I will have my data in the end I would like to have that ā€œfeatureā€. So during the carnage your clock and mileage was recording correctly, or was that laggy at the start too?

1 Like

So how long should it take for my jersey to be delivered to my garage? I finished the event earlier, and my welcome screen has the ā€œprogressā€ box for the TdZ with stage 1 ticked off, but no jersey yet, five hours later.

1 Like

An ever so slight timing issue for the first perhaps 30-45 seconds ā€“ Enough to cause a bit of panic, but it cleared quite quickly. Clock would update every 3-4 seconds, but at least it was updating and not losing time/distance covered.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s hilarious! Looks most of the Cat5 crits Iā€™ve ever been in and I got the scars to prove itā€¦

I rode the 19:00 CET in London.

No problems, but weird, that during the lead-in and other parts of the road (not all) Zwift showed all normal people free riding. Even runners. Iā€™ve never seen that during an event.

Beyond that, Iā€™ve seen no lag, no gliches, nothing abnormal.

The Event had about 1000 people.
My PC is a i5-3470, 8GB, GTX750ti

Iā€™ve once seen normal (i.e. non-event) people riding when a fondo/sportive went wrong like this, but not this time around. Itā€™s in another thread somewhere. And massive Zwift crashes like that are exactly what I see too. Or the riderless bikes and other weirdnesses. Even when things are otherwise working normally, Iā€™ve occasionally seen strings of riders well off the road into the verge and so on.