Tour de Zwift [2023]

Well done Zwift. I did the A Route yesterday. All worked well and I got the credit for having completed the ride. Have usually found issues with previous events like not getting credit and/ or being dropped out, but no glitches.
I enjoyed the excitement of riding with so many riders and personally feel that some of this might be lost if too many riders did the event on demand? There’s plenty of availability….and the start time made me get off the work computer to join the event……no bad thing!!

The beacon will only show on the leader (Coco), the other three won’t have beacon as there isn’t functionality to have 4 beacons in one category.

2 Likes

Right, thanks, so purely coincidental to what I observed - I’ll go back to it “was just Zwift being Zwift” for what I witnessed and move on.

But out of curiosity, do you get to define which pp gets to be the bot with a “beacon” when you set these events up (Coco as you elude to)?

Yes, it’s defined by the available available leader (ie in the event) in the list of leaders.

It works exactly the same for group rides.

1 Like

Just finished A route in Yorkshire. All went well and I was immediately given a Completion tick. That 15% hill throws up the limitation of my Elite Zumo though as it seems to spin out.

I was trying to shadow Miguel but it was difficult to pick him out at first and then keeping a track of him later was a bit difficult too. It was suggested in another thread that RPs should be “sticky” on the riders list (bottom right of HUD) so that the gap to them would remain visible at all times, in the same way that the HoloPartners are. It would have helped during this event too.

Oh. Yellow thumbs.

3 Likes

Could just have it so events are double XP but on-demand rides stay as single XP. I’d value being able to complete a stage at all over getting double XP for a stage I can’t fit in.

Robopacers should start at the back of the pack on the start line, that way you can hook one up as they catch you rather than being at the back of the pack and pushing like made just to find one

4 Likes

Yeah. That might have been easier. I guess the moral is to join early so you’re placed next to them?

I’ve followed @Shane_Miller_GPLama 's hack to get rid of the annoying blue thumbs
Hopefully it’ll keep the yellow thumbs away as well!

I thought the smiley thumbs were cute.

2 Likes

I did this route today and there is no badge/XP. it seems that it is event only route without XP/badge perks.

But you got the badge and XP yesterday. The picture is in your profile.

Tour Of Tewit Well - is not a Event only route.

yep. I did Stage 1 two times. B-Tour of Tewit Well with a badge and C-Harrogate Circuit Reverse (today) without a badge (though with a hope to get it…)

There is no badge for Harrogate Circuit Reverse.

Did the first stage today with the intention of riding with a pacer and found it pretty difficult to find the correct one off the start line. I followed the wrong pacer, and then never managed to find the one I actually wanted. They all have the same yellow markers and I need a telescope to squint at the rider list in the sidebar. It would be nice if the markers above their heads also had the power/weight value so you can identify them easier in a crowd.

What would be really cool (and probably impossible to implement for this Tour, but maybe in the future?) would be to offer an option to select a pacer when joining the event, and then be slotted into a start pen specific to that pacer (and maybe some sort of rubber band to keep you glommed on for the first 10s or so…?). Obviously it would be up to you to stick with the pacer after the start, but at least you’d have a fighting chance.

2 Likes

Agreed – when there were fewer bots it was more obvious (their initials corresponded to the race category A, B, C) but now it’s not obvious at all. The new pacers need a beacon that clearly states the power/weight value.

I (naively?) expected to see all the RoboPacers lined up in TdZ and was surprised when I figured out Coco was the fastest pacer. Where are Constance, Genie, Jacques, and Yumi???

Especially for stage 3 on Ventoux it would be cool to have the faster bots there to set tempo.

When the “Harrogate Circuit Reverse” route was originally promoted for TdZ, the “creative” on Zwift’s web site clearly stated there would be a new route badge for Harrogate Circuit Reverse. (I’m glad I’m apparently not the only one who saw it.) For whatever reason, it seems Zwift decided NOT to implement the new route badge and updated their creative to remove any references to it. Not a big deal in the grand scheme, but it WAS a little disappointing to me to finish the route yesterday and not see the route completion banner pop up.

1 Like

Stage 3 on whatnow? (Oh yeah–I must have mentally blocked the A route for Stage 3.)

1 Like

This is what I found:

2 Likes