“Zwift is a game, it will never be like outside riding”, that’s what I’m constantly thinking when something is wrong with Zwift.
For example, since the draft is not the same as outside, heavier riders are always in favor here. Lighter riders just have to work more.
The W/kg based racing system always favors heavier riders therefore, since there are simply no races where lighter riders could play out there adavantage.
Also, if you ride with a Pace Partner even I (70kg) have to hold more Watts AND higher W/kg than Coco to keep up with her. I JUST DON’T GET IT!
I was so frustrated today, I dowloaded RGT.
But what I recognized is, that as a cycling game you have to have a ■■■■ of a lot of riders, otherwise it’s just not that much fun. So Zwift has to be attractive even for the non geeks and therefore has to be simple.
Under this circumstance the W/kg based racing system is logical and pretty smart. But if we compete in W/kg we have to ride in W/kg.
So the solution for Zwift could be that it calculates speed only on W/kg!!
What I mean is:
If you hold 3 Wkg then you ride 30 kph for example.
If you hold 4 Wkg then you ride 40kph … and so on
If there’s a rider in front of you, you save 1 Wkg.
As simple as that. Doesn’t matter how much riders are in front, or if they are to the side you simply save 1 Wkg in the draft.
Think of it:
- Racing in the lower categories would be attractive for more people and you would have more participants in races since more have a chance to win
- TeamTimeTrials would work better
- Even breaking away would surely work better and therefore would make A-racing more interesting since a break would be more of a race winning situation for EVERYONE and the blob would’t ride that much faster if they don’t organize
- Drafting would be more predictable and therefore better. We don’t have breaks or “good” steering in Zwift. Drafting should be equally easy for everyone
- Women could race with men just like that, what brings again more race participants
- Sanbaggers could be more easily filtered out on the fly due to their numbers. If you have mass start now and some B/C riders are riding with A, they could get filtered maybe after 5 min.
Yeah, I hear you: BUT THAT’S NOT LIKE OUTSIDE.
I get it, but Zwift is a game with their own rules. They showed it on the UCI worlds, where they enabled powerups which is also not like outside. And they showed it with the implementation of Makuri which basically said: “Recreatiang the real Japan is just too restricting for a game designer.”
So if I were Zwift I would say: “Speed is based on W/kg since it’s attractive for more people and easier for the categorization. If you play Zwift you don’t ride outside, you play a game.”
It would also save a lot of active riders I guess. Man if I only look at the team I’m riding with, the lighter rider’s just don’t log on that often and cancel subscription on the first sunray in February.