The zwift app lowers my speed a lot when riding a climb

Hi,

I’ve started using the Zwift App just recently, and I have a problem or a bug. I connected the Zwift App with my Garmin Cadence, Speed and HR sensors and it all seems to be working correctly. However, everytime the Zwift App simulates a climb (even at low % such as a 2-3%), the speed on the App with decrease up to the point my “virtual biker” stops riding. I try to ride as fast as I can and nothing happens, either the “virtual biker” does not move, or if it moves, it does so at very low speed (2-3 kmh).

What could be the problem? Could anybody help me find a solution? It’s very frustating to ride as hard as possible and see that you’re not moving…

Thank you very much in advance.

Oscar

Zwift takes the wheel speed broadcast by your speed sensor and the power curve (see below) of the trainer you select on the Pairing Screen and converts that to virtual watts, also known as “zPower”.

Your in-game speed is determined by those watts, the weight and height entered, in-game bike frame used, in-game drafting (Tri and TT bikes get no drafting boost), in-game wheel set, in-game road surface, and in-game virtual elevation changes.

Activating a Power Up such as the Truck (draft boost), Feather (weight reduction), or Helmet (aero boost) can further alter your in-game speed for a short duration.

For smart trainers and power meters:
Zwift takes the exact power/watts broadcast by your trainer, the weight and height entered, in-game bike frame used, in-game drafting (Tri and TT bikes get no drafting boost), in-game wheel set, in-game road surface, and in-game virtual elevation changes to determine your speed.

Activating a Power Up such as the Truck (draft boost), Feather (weight reduction), or Helmet (aero boost) can further alter your in-game speed for a short duration.

powercurve

3 Likes

Hi @Oscar_Dongil welcome to Zwift forums.
Please check the number set in Functional Threshold Power (FTP) setting in the game app, under Menu / Settings. These screenshots are from the Windows game app:

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

If your number is too low, you will have all those symptoms. What’s the number?

FTP is a measurement of your physical abilities, and it’s very different from person to person. You might try manually entering 50 to begin, perhaps double it 100 to see what that feels like to start. This is a quick way to prove if this diagnosis is correct.

A more accurate way to set your FTP is through a proper FTP test, and one of the methods explained here will be the best way to match your true physical abilities.

1 Like