Physical activity recording to Zwift

This may be a naive question and easy answer. Is there a way to record a physical (non-Zwift) activity like an outdoor bike ride or run so that it gets ‘counted’ on Zwift as miles logged? I love Zwift but I also like to ride and run outside, and those activities don’t get logged in Zwift. Or am I missing an obvious fix to that?

Hi @Matt_Tompkins1376, outdoor rides/runs can not be uploaded to Zwift. The only workaround that I know of is starting up Zwift on your phone, pairing a power meter, starting a ride, and then going for a ride outside while Zwift is running on your phone.

1 Like

Hey Mike,

Thanks so much for the response. I figured. When you say pairing a power meter, that’s usually a smart trainer , right? So what kind of power meter is portable that you can take with you on an outdoor activity?

Hub, pedal, crank and crank arm based power meters.

1 Like

Got it, thanks!

You can make do with a speed sensor on your rear wheel. For your outdoor ride, select one of the trainers supporting ‘ZPower’ (Zwif’s way of estimating ones power based on rear wheel rotation speed for fluid trainers.)

It won’t be accurate, but it can ‘do the job’ for much less.

That is why I didn’t suggest only using a speed sensor. The power curves that Zwift uses for supported classic trainers won’t match up to a real ride outside with all the variables of road surface, wind speed, etc…

1 Like

The question was ‘what kind of power meter is portable that you can take with you on an outdoor activity?’

There is no good way to using zPower/Virtual power while using Zwift outdoors. Saying it won’t be accurate is an understatement to say the least. I agree with what @Mike_Rowe_PBR said about it.

1 Like

@Matt_Tompkins1376 made no reference to power meter… :slight_smile:

If you want to ride outdoor, and are not willing to shell anywhere between $300 to $1200 (or more…) for a power meter, what other option is there?

Yes he did:

… only because @Mike_Rowe_PBR proposed it :smiley:

If one has the money to have to power meter - sure, go ahead. Otherwise, use zPower.