Paracyling added to Zwift -Handcycles and recumbant bikes

I have organized a Paracycling Group Ride on Wednesday (22.04) at 19:00 CET. I made it so athletes can connect with friends, fans and competitors from around the world even though the races have been cancelled. [The at Home Cycling & Running Virtual Training App]

1 Like

Another vote for recumbent bike and trike avatars! I ride a Bacchetta Carbon Aero 3 and also have a Catbike Musashi (profile pic). I have a ton of friends who ride bikes and trikes. Please add bike and trike avatars!

1 Like

I really find that hard to believe that even though this has been on the feature request list since 2016, it still is not an option in the game for paracyclists - hopefully hearing about the work of @NorgesCykleforbund_P on the Zwiftcast this week will create more momentum in Zwift to look at this and take it into serious consideration.

2 Likes

When is the weekly para event? Would love to give out some ride-ons!

1 Like

Got it, thanks

This topic has been around for a few years, but STILL no handcycling avatar from Zwift. What the - ? How hard can it be to create and launch?? Zwift, and the cycling community in general needs to know that there are thousands of us around the world. That we need to be recognized. That able-bodied athletes do not own the road. Many of us are military vets, people with disabilities from birth, or from some type of accident/trauma (including being hit by cars while on our bikes as able bodied cyclists). The decent, human, intelligent, respectful thing to do is RECOGNIZE us; If for no other reason, so that in the “real world” we are given this recognition and acknowledgment as well. C’mon, able-bodied cycling - get past yourself!

4 Likes

Yeah I totally agree…the Paracycling community is big enough to be considering, we have world champions training on this platform, I’m quite sure they will consider it for the future. :wheelchair: :ride_on:

3 Likes

I have not used zwift yet because there is no handcycle avatar. Not interested in seeing an able bodied cyclist on the screen.

3 Likes

I’m an able-bodied athlete, but I would love to see handcycles and recumbents in the game! With all of the technology out there, they should be able to make the platform more inclusive.

4 Likes

Jens Voigt is doing a ride soon, Saturday May 30th I believe.
Will post link soon.

1 Like

Jensie’s Ride for Challenged Athletes

May 30 Click the link to join

2 Likes

267 rode with Jens Voigt today. A lot of para cyclists joined.
It is great to see Zwift have a positive program like this.
All I can say is “More please.”

3 Likes

Please add a special handcycle Avatar.
I will cut straight to what matters most: user experience and dollars.
It will only add positive things to the platform as a whole and gain your brand positive attention which = free marketing dollars.
Though I am a fully able bodied rider, I have friends and clients that are handcycling indoors with controllable trainers.
Win-win situation.

If they can do a Big Wheel for a one-day gag, they can do a paracyclist or hand-cyclist.

Hand cyclists are relatively easy, since only the arms move.

Main issue would be people with working legs “riding” the hand cycles. They should be left for people using their arms.

2 Likes

Hi all,
This is my first post, but I have already contacted the Zwift ‘gods’ to ask about them developing a handcycle option for those of us that are paralysed or have conditions that mean we cannot use a conventional two wheeled pedal-cycle! Zwift mentions posting it on the forum might give the idea some traction!!
I’m not going to rant about this, but in a world that is gradually becoming both more accepting and adapted, would be great for my avatar to be able to hop into a handcycle!!
Your thoughts??
Thanks and stay healthy,
Tim

1 Like

Also, mention it in writing or strava feeds to Eric Min and other Zwift executives. I feel this is a simple issue that needs to be made available as soon as possible.

If they can make this easily, they can make a hand cycle.

5 Likes

I think making handcyclist a feature of the account, rather than just another bike in the garage, makes sense. That would perhaps make it less likely riders are going to be just doing joy rides on the “handcycle”(pedaling a normal bike).

2 Likes

I would love to hear Eric Min say it is on schedule for 2020. We really need this to be fair and to recognize the effort some are going through just to ride.

Please vote if you haven’t already. Thanks

3 Likes

I’ll just drop my post in a related thread here, too:

This would be great. I have a spinal cord injury and am lucky to still ride a two wheeled bike, but I train with others that ride hand cycles. This would be a nice commitment to diversity. Would also be nice to have unique rider levels and group rides/races for physically challenged athletes.

1 Like