Pace partners too fast

My assumption was that the top two charts show wind speed reduction since the numbers in them are both the same.

“Fig. 22. Estimate of revolution-averaged drag of every cyclist in Peloton A as a percentage of the drag of an isolated cyclist riding at the same speed. Background of the
figures (b) and (c) are contours in a horizontal plane at 1m height of mean wind speed (m/s) and mean pressure coefficient, respectively.”

“When cycling on level ground at a speed greater than 14m/s, aerodynamic drag is the most important resistive force. About 90% of the total mechanical power output is necessary to overcome it.”
Sports Biomechanics, Aerodynamic drag in cycling: methods of assessment

1 Like

You are correct. I had to read a bit more. Thanks for correcting me. :slight_smile:

The point that I wanted to make regardless of the numbers (your seat of the pants feeling seem good) is that the Zwift draft look like this. I should have used this picture, that would be a lot better than numbers.

1 Like

The red area looks awfully wide especially towards the back, I wonder if some artistic licence has been taken there to make the visualization look more clean… I think there might already be a few riders in the picture who would see their own avatars in the non-drafting riding position.

1 Like

It look like that is developer mode in Zwift.
Have a look at the picture below taken in “draft viewing mode” (the developer-only mode with rainbow streaks):

All the same, I refuse to believe that someone in the bottom left corner of the picture would still have a massive draft as indicated. Sounds like you are assuming that Zwift code contains no bugs… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

People with Sause can probably check that.

How accurate is the rendering of other riders sitting up in the draft vs in their drops.
My assumption is not very accurate for others.

If you mean if they are drafting or not, it’s not implemented at all for other riders, only you (if on a compatible bike).

Are you saying that the other riders always appear in their drops (out of draft).
I’ll pay closer attention.
I’m sure I’ve seen other riders sitting up and dropping down.

This came up from a group ride.
I dropped back to help sweep and I was trying to position myself as a just bearly drafting stepping stone so once stragglers got in the draft, they could just move up to the next helper.

I too have seen others sitting up but I think it is simply power-related, same as if you were riding without others around you. In a blob, all the others are (practically) always in the drops.

Yeah, I’ve wondered about that too, sitting up when I’m alone.

It might also be speed related ?

It does seem that way.

The speed has dropped a bit since the Rapha 500 is done so maybe it’s just people going back to normal riding, though the pace groups are still having big numbers on any flat course (Tick Tock or Tempus) and less numbers if the course has any hills at all.

Interesting point–if you’re in a pack and without steering, you sometimes get forced off to the side of the group by the normal (random) interaction of the riders. You basically have no ability to determine whether you will be directly behind others or not. Are you still getting as much draft out there to the side in the Zwift pack as you would be if you were directly in the middle, behind the other riders?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Steering in all events?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Steering in all events?

Hi James……noticed that my Assioma pedals are much slower to respond to the bots today than my Kickr. Huge difference riding genie today with Kickr v pedals. No issues last 3 years. Data driven here. Have you investigated the new pack dynamics using an alternate power source ?

I use Assiomas and haven’t noticed any issues.