Pace Partner Dynamic Pace Testing [March 2022]

I may disagree here. I don’t understand the reasoning leading to the conclusion that there is no added value doing an effort in a group when going at a constant pace, and that when the pace is not constant this justifies doing it in a group. To me there is no difference at all between those two scenarios. The added value is sharing an effort with a group of riders, whether it is a constant or variable pace. Otherwise I would have switched long ago to a non-multiplayer training tool.

2 Likes

Everyone is using ‘pace’ to mean constant wattage, when ‘pace’ typically refers to speed. With the dynamic adjustments, speed is flatter so that from this standpoint ‘pace’ is a bit more constant.

3 Likes

Factully correct you can hold a steady pace or effort without a pacer to do it .

But as a training aid a pacing device is common and useful. If what you are saying is Zwift no longer sees this as something it wishes to support as a feature I am sure everyone who is expressing this as a use case can quite easily and happily look elsewhere.

I would like to beleive that there is some future vision to support both the clear use cases here .

1 Like

In an ideal world (is zwift capable of that) you can have some constant and some variable - Watopia bots are steady & Makuri are variable…

I’d like to see it in France… I’d also like to see a short route in France just looping the petit KOM climb - great for intervals.

How there still isn’t a single PP going up the Alpe in 59:59 seems like the biggest open goal. Build a new route for the PP, Alpe & Jungle loop and off it goes.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t there be a challenge in timing your join with such a PP at exactly the right time to start the clock? That is, if the goal is to have a pacer that can help you achieve the sub 1hr performance.

True, try not join at the end of turn 1 :rofl:

1 Like

That said, there is on the development plan to add functionality of PP-led group rides. So in theory maybe they could combine and have an hourly penned start with a PP that goes at the 59min pace. Extending that, there could be any number of timed-goal (avg speed) group rides developed for anyone interested to going for personal bests over specific courses/routes.

I spend countless hours looking after the Pace Partners. It is absolutely an important feature.

My only point was that if you wanted to hold the same pace forever, you don’t have to do it with a pace partner.

Feedback re dynamic pacing has been largely positive and I’m pleased with how it’s been received but recignise that not everyone can be happy all the time.

whistles innocently

2 Likes

FYI the Pace Partners only work on a loop, so you can’t have them running up and down ADZ or VenTop. It does work in a group ride though.

Are those solo numbers or in a draft?

Solo. Hence more testing needed before I can start creating Alp-led rides.

Unless you could endow a PP with a permanently enabled Van power-up perhaps?

Or list such time-goal rides as exactly that and put the PP on a TT bike. Everybody else relies on draft from other participants and not from the PP itself. Would still want to be able to provide some sort of w/kg range guidance in ride description though.

Not my first rodeo :joy:

2 Likes

i just use pace partners for warm ups rather than anything important so it doesn’t really bother me, but when you practise an instrument you don’t really want the metronome to be speeding up or slowing down by 10% every so often

Seconding this user’s request for a more well endowed PP

Yes, but your instrument doesn’t get easier or harder to play when it hits a hill.

I play the tuba

I find it’s a lot easier to stay with pace partners with trainer difficulty set to zero. I do that when I don’t want to have to pay as much attention, especially on the more rolling routes. The dynamic pacing is only a problem when I’m riding with a pace partner that’s at the high end of my comfort range.

Right, but the pace partner might be the most “fun” way to do it. Sure you can boot up a recovery workout, or an endurance workout, or a tempo workout that holds the same power throughout and go ride on your own… But then you’re not sharing that experience with other people. In a similar way you can just go and ride on your own and have dynamic pacing when you hit hills without any pace bot too… I get that a lot of folks like the bots being a more dynamic social ride rather than keeping in a set zone, but keeping in a set zone is also a valid request, and can be accomplished mostly for bots that are riding on flatter routes, or bots without too much variability in pacing.

1 Like