Mountain bike gears too small for Zwift?

(SanDiegoJoey Davis) #1

I’m completely new to all aspects of cycling. I have a mountain that I just setup on a Wahoo Kickr and Zwift. I wanted to try out the FTP training and noticed that in my fastest gear (I don’t know the correct terms) I can only manage about 120 watts and my feet are spinning so fast with little to no resistance, like I’m riding downhill and trying to catch up to the speed of the bike. It occurred to me that perhaps mountain bike gearing isn’t mean to achieve high speeds and I’ll be limited by the bike itself. Is this possible or have I got it set up wrong?

(Nigel) #2

If your are in your hardest gear (biggest chainring on the front and smallest cog on the rear) I would think you’d still be generating some good power on an MTB. Is it possible you have it in ‘erg’ mode, and set at a low power level? (In erg mode the trainer will adjust the difficulty to the specified wattage output no matter what gear you are in.) And did you check at the startup screen to ensure that your trainer was properly paired with the Zwift app?

(SanDiegoJoey Davis) #3

Thank you Jeffrey I’ll check. I’m pretty confident I’m paired up with the Zwift app but don’t know if I’m in “erg” mode, that’s a new term to me that I’ll have to YouTube search to get an understanding to make sure I’m not.

(Dan) #4

make sure you do some calibration spin-downs! preferably with the wahoo app first, then using the in-zwift one later.

(Gerrie Delport TeamODZ) #5

this may be a redundant question, Did you pair it as a Power source and controllable?

It need to look like this. and if using ANT+ pick the FE-C option

Also set your trainer difficulty to 100%