Maximum grade on a route?

Out of shape newbie, here. Is there any way to determine the maximum grade on a route. I am trying to use my trainer on full resistance and truly earn the hills I climb and choose routes accordingly. That said, I do want to ease into them. Yes, I understand the overall work/wattage is the same regardless of resistance. Thanks for any advice.

If you view a route on Zwift Insider, there is a street map that has a red “view full details on velo viewer” banner under the map. When you click this banner, all kind of route details are provided including maximum grade. There may be other ways also but this is the way I do it.

Thanks, I’ll check that out!

Also look at this site, everything on one page with links to the zwift insider pages.

you can also sort by distance,elevation gain or world.

1 Like

remember that many trainers have an upper limit to gradient.
( there is also the “trainer difficulty” setting which scales the incline default is 50% half of true slope, so (you can use higher gear and higher cadence than on the real road)

I keep mine at 100%, but my trainer only gives a maximum 10% slope.
At the end of the day its all W/Kg that defines “speed”.
As the incline get steeper, above 10%, I just go virtually slower for the same cadence/power.

Yeah I’ve got a Cycleops M2 that goes to 15%. I may dial back the difficulty just to make more routes and locations doable for me. I know it’s the same amount of “work” at the end of the day, but it feels like a bit of a cheat and I really like the realism of a tough climb. That said, my knees would probably thank me.