M1 / Apple Silicon compatibility

Hi @K_T11 welcome to Zwift forums.

During the installation process, you should have been asked to give permissions to the Documents folder. Did you allow those permissions? If no - the app will not start up correctly. Please check the permissions using the steps in this Support article.

Alternately: try unistalling / reinstalling the game app:
1 Search for “Zwift” in Finder, and delete all the folders and files that come up.
2. Manually download and install the app.
3. This time - be certain to allow write permissions.

Would you let us know if either of those fixes your issue?

Shuji- will the new M1 Macs be able to use the Ultra setting in Zwift? Do you know?

Yep, 2020 M1 MBA (8 core) user here. Ran great!

1 Like

Kyle- were you able to run the “Ultra” setting instead of “High” and get all the shadows, clarity, etc.?

You’re mixing up two separate things here. :wink:

The M1 devices now run the High profile for detail (stuff to see, texture quality etc), this is determined automatically by Zwift and cannot be changed by the user. So it’s not Ultra detail. What can be changed by the user is the resolution setting in the game menu. The ‘Ultra (1440p)’ resolution option is now available, not sure about 4K.

Gotcha. I was definitely mixing those two things up. Since my ASUS laptop has the NVDIA 1660 Ti card, it is likely running the Ultra detail Zwift implements. My Ultra setting is not related to that. Good to know. I thought the user setting was the one Zwift implements and gives users the option…that is not correct. Thanks!

I was wondering if/when Zwift was going to let the M1s run the Ultra profile.

1 Like

Previous to this update it was on Medium detail, so they’ve determined High is its acceptable limit. Same as a GTX 750 Ti gets on a PC. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

You’re on Ultra detail with a GTX 1660 Ti by the way.

Yeah, I understand now. Would be fantastic if they can make that Mac chip run a Ultra detail next. Coming from an older (2010ish) Macbook Pro to this ASUS gaming laptop, has made a huge difference. I’m very visual so I like the extra details and shadows a ton more.

Hi guys!

Don’t know if my wording is correct, but here goes: Is Zwift still running through Rosetta2, or has it been optimized for the M1 yet? I’m thinking Zwift would need a new app for the latter, but I could be wrong?
Nice thread!

It’s running through the emulation, I believe.

Select the app in your Finder, then hit command-I or right click and select get information. There’s a field for app type. Universal is M1 native. Intel means it was written for the old Intel chips. The current Zwift app is showing as Intel.

Thanks! Yes, still says Intel. So I suppose the wait continues. Not that I have issues with it, but would be nice if it had a M1 specific app

yes, all modes including ultra ran great on my m1 MacBook Air. Battery drain was a bit higher on Ultra as expected.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’m having trouble running zwift with my macbook pro M1.
I had no trouble downloading and installing the app, and the app itself runs well.
However, whenever I try to connect my HT and HR monitor to the app, Zwift says the bluetooth of my laptop is turned off — But, it’s not.

I tried rebooting my bluetooth, turned it on/off, deleted zwift & re-uploaded it but nothing changed…

Anyone been experiencing the same thing ? Or has any advice ?

Thanks!

It is running on M1 but on ultra the shadow are not as clear and details as I have seen on GP Lama video (he is running on Windows). I thought with such high performance of M1 I will have best picture possible but it seems to be curb or downgrade for unknown reason.

M1 devices run the High profile, Shane’s PC runs the Ultra profile. This is separate to the game resolution setting.

1 Like

In case anyone needs reminding, the M1s are running in emulation through Rosetta. I love my M1 mini and am totally impressed with the increase in performance over my ATV 4k. Using the Mini as my daily driver with an LG 24" Ultra Fine monitor is a whole other revelation.

1 Like

Ok, is there any hack to activate ultra profile on the M1? Now it seems that it is powerfull enought. Although I might have notice that streaming (with OBS) my Zwift live take lots of ressource and the macbook air is burning hot, Macbook Pro M1 might be better when streaming Zwift live on Youtube or Twitch.

Kevin, it get stress if you live stream with OBS (on Rosetta as well). Macbook Air becomes burning hot in few minutes and a live is for 1 hour minimum. I recommand M1 on Macbook Pro with a fan or Mac mini.

Afraid not, the profile (detail level) is assessed and chosen by Zwift HQ, and it is automatically applied by the game when it loads. The M1 devices were originally Medium, so ZHQ have determined that High is the most suitable detail level rather than Ultra.