M1 / Apple Silicon compatibility

It would be better and cheaper if you get a used gaming PC for Zwift.

The ARM chip in these Apple Laptops will not be more powerful than those in smartphones.

The only reason Apple switched to ARM instead of Intel is cause it’s cheaper for them.

I’m bit torn. If I knew more about component reliability etc, I’d build an inexpensive gaming PC off eBay and eventually get the M1 (or Intel even) Apple laptop to replace my Macbook Air that I use most of the time. The M1’s most appealing feature is the battery life, and it is faster than anything I have.

A used PC isn’t a bad idea, I suppose. That may be a good option but I’d still like to know if the M1 laptops will run Zwift smoothly and show all the graphical features like a gaming laptop/PC would.

I’m sure the M1 will run zwift smoothly, just as every MacBook does now.
But I bet that you will get the basic or medium profile, since the GPU part in the ARM CPU simply never has the power of a gaming GPU.
That’s not a bad thing. You can watch a lot of zwift streaming videos on YT from the ATV 4k.
My guess is, the GPU part in the M1 will be like the ATV4k.

Left: ATV 4k ------ Right: Gaming PC with a i7 and RTX2060

It’s Medium now at way higher frame rates than Apple TV, based on the early reports further up the thread. I’m assuming they’re not doing an actual ARM port in just a few weeks, so they’ll probably bump the automatic profile on the emulation to High or maybe even Ultra.

2 Likes

My guess is, the GPU part in the M1 will be like the ATV4k.

The M1 has more graphics capability than any iPad ever manufactured, and I’m including in that the just released A14 based iPad Air, which has fewer graphics cores than the M1 - iPad Air has 4 graphics cores, M1 has 8 (or 7, in the lowest end MacBook Air model). The main CPU capabilities of the M1 vs A14 are significantly increased too.

The Apple TV 4K (my primary Zwifting platform today) is based on the A12 processor, and runs Zwift adequately, but it’s graphics are basic and behind even what A12X based iPad Pros can manage.

Comparing Zwift, my M1 MacBook Air already wipes the floor with my Apple TV with no tuning from Zwift, when using the Intel binary, and the frame rate is significantly higher at 40-50fps.

2 Likes

Apple TV 4K is A10X.

Yes, of course you’re right. Too many generations of silicon for me to remember.

1 Like

Kevin,

Do you think you are getting any thermal throttling while running Zwift on the M1 Air? What graphic profile you are using while running through Rosetta? TIA

Shuji,

Any update on the December M1 graphics profile? The Mrs. just said a new Mac would make the perfect Christmas gift. TIA

1 Like

@avid_dk The CPU is barely ticking over when running Zwift. I’m not on my trainer right now, but it looks like it’s using less than half of one CPU core when I’m watching someone. Actually Zwifting would have a similar CPU load.
I’m using the High (1080p) profile.

The only time so far I’ve been able to vaguely stress this Air is when compiling in Xcode, and it didn’t get warm (let alone hot) and it didn’t slow down.

1 Like

Good luck with the MacBook Air for Christmas, I ordered one last week, 5-6 week lead time, granted it was the top spec.

1 Like

New Apple MacBook Air user here.
M1, 16GB RAM, 8core, 512GB model.
Coming from a 2018 15" (6-core i7,16GB RAM, 560X Graphics). The M1 runs Zwift better, uses significantly less battery.

For reference: Powering a 32" 1080p TV, via USB-C to HDMI, connected to a Wahoo Kickr, Quarq D-Zero, and Rhythm+ HRM, the M1 MacBook Air went from 100% to 88% after 1 hour of Zwift on medium graphics.

The same test with the 2018 15" MacBook Pro went from 100% to 27% in the same hour. M1 is no joke for battery life and middle of the road graphics.

5 Likes

Hi, for some reason after signing in on the MacOS app with the Apple M1 chip, all I can see is a white screen? Is there an issue with the compatability?

Hi @K_T11 welcome to Zwift forums.

During the installation process, you should have been asked to give permissions to the Documents folder. Did you allow those permissions? If no - the app will not start up correctly. Please check the permissions using the steps in this Support article.

Alternately: try unistalling / reinstalling the game app:
1 Search for “Zwift” in Finder, and delete all the folders and files that come up.
2. Manually download and install the app.
3. This time - be certain to allow write permissions.

Would you let us know if either of those fixes your issue?

Shuji- will the new M1 Macs be able to use the Ultra setting in Zwift? Do you know?

1 Like

Yep, 2020 M1 MBA (8 core) user here. Ran great!

1 Like

Kyle- were you able to run the “Ultra” setting instead of “High” and get all the shadows, clarity, etc.?

You’re mixing up two separate things here. :wink:

The M1 devices now run the High profile for detail (stuff to see, texture quality etc), this is determined automatically by Zwift and cannot be changed by the user. So it’s not Ultra detail. What can be changed by the user is the resolution setting in the game menu. The ‘Ultra (1440p)’ resolution option is now available, not sure about 4K.

Gotcha. I was definitely mixing those two things up. Since my ASUS laptop has the NVDIA 1660 Ti card, it is likely running the Ultra detail Zwift implements. My Ultra setting is not related to that. Good to know. I thought the user setting was the one Zwift implements and gives users the option…that is not correct. Thanks!

I was wondering if/when Zwift was going to let the M1s run the Ultra profile.

1 Like

Previous to this update it was on Medium detail, so they’ve determined High is its acceptable limit. Same as a GTX 750 Ti gets on a PC. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

You’re on Ultra detail with a GTX 1660 Ti by the way.

Yeah, I understand now. Would be fantastic if they can make that Mac chip run a Ultra detail next. Coming from an older (2010ish) Macbook Pro to this ASUS gaming laptop, has made a huge difference. I’m very visual so I like the extra details and shadows a ton more.